ABS kicks in at low speeds...Driving me insane.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
That has crossed my mind, but I only paid 3800 for the truck. The closest replacement I could find would cost upwards of $8K in my area, and I'd have to do a lot of what I've already done, again. It really is a great truck, but I knew (sort of) what I was getting into.

Kinda seems to me and in my experience that with what I don't pay up front, I end up paying over the years by being nickled & dimed to death chasing things down & repairing things... We got our current '89 cheap enough but gee, lets see... "New" used engine, rotors, rubber brake lines, calipers, pads, full rear brake job, fluid flushes, HVAC blend motor swap, cluster swap, alignment, driveshaft balance & u-joints, pitman arm, wiper motor and other little tiddley bits.

Reaction score
The problem is caused by rust building up under the sensor between the sensor flange and hub bearing. Once you remove the bearing then remove sensor and clean rust off of the bearing housing. When removing sensor be careful not to break it. After cleaning off rust, shoot some wheel bearing grease into sensor hole and spread some on bearing housing where sensor sits. If you have a lot of miles on vehicle and do not know history of bearing then replace it. If the four bolts are rounded then get a fluted socket and that will help with removing bolts

mike73

Reaction score
Yeah, I have a 2000 silverado 1500 (GMT800) that did this. I just pulled the fuse. One of the hubs has been replaced since, so who knows, it might work, but I don't care. If the other hub ever goes out, I may try putting the fuse back in after that, but I'm hoping that doesn't happen

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My only qualm with pulling the fuse would be losing what ABS I actually do have. It is nice to have on ice and snow because our DOT doesn't know how to take care of roads in the winter time. I'll pull the fuse and see where it gets me.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kinda seems to me and in my experience that with what I don't pay up front, I end up paying over the years by being nickled & dimed to death chasing things down & repairing things... We got our current '89 cheap enough but gee, lets see... "New" used engine, rotors, rubber brake lines, calipers, pads, full rear brake job, fluid flushes, HVAC blend motor swap, cluster swap, alignment, driveshaft balance & u-joints, pitman arm, wiper motor and other little tiddley bits.

I hear ya on that but I'm a sucker for a good project.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Rust is never worth it lol. Our '89 is a bit rusty, frame, floor pans & other structure is still good but the rockers said good bye who knows when, cab corners went with them, the wheel lips are bubbly and there's a nice spot of rust on the rear bumper to the left of the license plate. Now, all of those repairs and stuff would have been fine if the truck was clean. Had I known it up front it needed all of this stuff, I wouldn't have bought it. We haven't even had the truck a year yet. Still needs a leaf spring, potentially front wheel bearings/axle bearing(s) and the A/C overhauled. Definitely wouldn't be able to sell it for what I've got into it.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I didn't want to lose my ABS either, but I disconnected mine at least until I repaired it correctly. Mine nearly caused me to rear end someone a couple of times because it randomly engaged when I was coming to a stop.

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's a recall on this. Basically what happens is that rust builds up between the sensor and the hub and it backs the sensor up enough to cause it to have read issues. It's a Hall effect sensor that reads a reluctor ring on the hub and the spacing between the two is apparently quite critical.
I can't put my hands on the recall sheet right now, but the fix is essentially to take the sensor out, clean any rust and dirt off of it and then lightly sand the flat surface around the hole it goes in and then blocking the hole with something and hit the surrounding area with a very light coat of something like Rustoleum. Not too thick or your recreate the problem with the paint being too thick and keeping the sensor from being close enough to the reluctor.
I'd recommend that if you do this repair, you might as well replace the sensors too. They're pretty cheap and it's worth having new ones since you're going to all the trouble. Got mine from Rock Auto for like $50 for the pair (front).

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulled the ABS Fuse and all is well for now. Slick roads will have me putting it back in in a hurry though. I should do new bearings and sensors eventually, and discs I suppose while I'm at it, but not for a while at least.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good information regarding the abs issues so far. As someone else posted, those "rounded off head" sockets usually save the day.

Also, last I checked amazon had the precision bearings with sensor for about $100.