ABS kicking in often

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, SS lines make a difference. Also make sure your rear drums are adjusted properly. Some have to adjust them more than others. For me, it's about every 4k miles. The GMT400 drum brakes suck. The front heavy bias in the proportioning valve doesn't help either. I've had ABS problems twice. Both times it was a loose/broken wheel bearing.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like said before, every time my ABS kicks in its because a front wheel bearing is on its way out.

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never had a problem with my ABS but I have a soft brake pedal. I'm going to flush my lines first then check my rear drums. My old rubber hoses have 199k on them so I'll replace them soon.

If I get a camera I will write a tutorial for the site on flushing brake lines the easy way without a lot of tools.

alger388

Reaction score
Like said before, every time my ABS kicks in its because a front wheel bearing is on its way out.

why is is the bearing? the whole hub assembly? i havent looked at one in awhile, i remember i did my s10 blazer a couple years ago because that thing was shot

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i had the same problem with my 97. i did the ss lines also and it makes a nice difference. but i also did rear dics on the 12 bolt i built so the pedal became soft as it was moving alot more fluid. also before i did the swap i just pulled the abs fuse out. every time i got the rear tires spinning and had to brake real fast right after the abs would go off. personaly i hate the gmt400 abs so not having the fuse makes it much more fun to drive on dirt roads and such. if i set my preportining valve for a little more rear brake i can get a full rear and little front slide when its wet or in mud ect ect. but for daily driving just taking out the fuse made me much more happy and keeping the rear brakes adjusted to where they are supposed to be make it stop like a champ! pull the fuse and see if your happy IMO. if not you can put it right back in and go from there. obviously your abs light will be on. also i hear that the abs sensors getting dirty will cause the abs to go crazy while braking. give it a whirl!

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
steel braided brake lines are a simple fex. the less 'lateral flex' basically (< >) pushing out on the brake lines, the less lateral flex, the better your brakes will be. even replacing your original brake lines with OEM replacements should help.

Just so everyone understands, this is not a FIX to the ABS problem, it is a simple upgrade that will stiffen up your brake pedal and have your discs brakes working like they should with better stopping power. The Russell stainless braided lines only replace the oem rubber hoses from the hard brake line to the calipers on the front and from the hard line to the diverting block on the rears.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
and its about 40-60 bucks for a 6 inch line...atleast mine were! but think you only have to buy them once!

alger388

Reaction score
Anyone recommend some good hub assemblies for a fair price? I seen espensive and cheap..

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
anything with a life time warrenty from carquest if they got it. i get everything from carquest because i think AZ and murrays parts are junk.