A machinist , a turbo and his L31 GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
The only bad thing I've ever heard about Megasquirt is the learning curve for tuning it. It usually takes a while just to get the engine to idle correctly, but seeing your background and capabilities I'm sure you have the patience to tune one without many issues.

I have to keep the smog NATZIs at bay here also . Do you think It has more to offer than efi live or HP tuners and the 411 pcm? I really do not know much about megasquirt. I have read people have passed emissions though in my state using the mega squirt pcm. I guess I will have to go over there and ask a few questions.

Sounds like a great trip!

Machining the block for splayed caps? Those are stronger than the stock 4 bolt caps!

Yes Im going to use splayed caps.
I didnt know that . I just knew with what Ive done so far making sure it was a 4 bolt was in my best interest. Im able to drill and tap the block myself so I figured It was good insurance at this point. I know I do not have specific power numbers but the way the block is set up I could really turn the boost up if I ever wanted to .

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Did you do any home brewed machining to your rotating assembly? Such as Crank/Rod Lightening?

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Did you do any home brewed machining to your rotating assembly? Such as Crank/Rod Lightening?

No I picked a rotating assembly kit out . Then had the company I purchased it through pre- balance it , then delivery it to me all ready balanced. SO anything I do now would throw the rotating assemblies balance out of wack. I trust SCAT and Wiseco enough , more than me with pistons and crankshafts.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Scat does some nice stuff. That's for sure.

bschaffer

Reaction score
I put a 411 in my 97 2500 a year ago and bought efi live. It was pretty straight forward. I didnt see what you were putting the engine back into but if it is a gmt 400 all your wiring would be right there and neat. All you have to do is switch the pins around. Not really sure what you have to splice in for the megasquirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
I put a 411 in my 97 2500 a year ago and bought efi live. It was pretty straight forward. I didnt see what you were putting the engine back into but if it is a gmt 400 all your wiring would be right there and neat. All you have to do is switch the pins around. Not really sure what you have to splice in for the megasquirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes its going right back into my Yukon. This isnt a race car but a reliable tow 4x4 toy.
The megasquirt 3 uses GM sensors. Its a piece of cake from what I read. Im pretty sure this is the route im going.

My lower portion of my intake manifold came in . Now I can have a little fun machining some parts. I plan to machine a billet neck for coolant fuel rails and im unsure if i want to go with a 4 barrel 2000 cfm throttle body or a custom upper with oval throttle body. i think im going to design an upper I think the 4brl will be to much for the street / tow application.
You must be registered for see images attach

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Rails , throttle bracket , 1200 cfm throttle body , 4 bolt main caps came in . Just purchased 80lbs injectors.
After I machine the 2 bolt to 4 conversion caps off to the machine shop.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
So just to educate myself a little, you are taking a Vortec 350 (L31), removing the stock CPFI and Intake Manifold, and going TPI utilizing MegaSquirt? MegaSquirt piggybacks off the stock PCM, and that being said, works with the black box...

At that point, as far as tuning is related, MegaSquirt controls the spark and fuel tables, and everything else is still under control of the PCM?

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Not tpi but a true mpfi. But theres allot more to my build than that Did you notice the huge turbo and forged internals.
I was to stay emissions complaint. Now Ive decided to do the 24x cop conversion and use hptunners. Who knows if thats what I will end u doing,

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Looks like you have your stuff together for the most part. I'd double check the valvetrain on those heads if I was you...spring pressure, installed height, seals, and all clearances.

I can't tell if there's a cam stuck in there yet or not. What are you running?