A less conventional "GMT400": My '97 Express Conversion Van

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zetros

Reaction score
Hey folks, I know this isn't technically a GMT400, (GMT600 methinks) but these pre-'03 vans share much in common with GMT400s, and I thought y'all would like to see how darn clean this thing is. Bought it off an old couple up in North GA, only 90k miles as of now and a 2 owner before me, of which was related to the previous owner so I think I'll call it one owner. Has the 350 w/ a 4L60e. Has already ate through one transmission 40k miles ago, hopefully this 5 year old 4L60e lasts longer. Don't have many plans for it as far as mods since it's a conversion van, but right now I'm just fixing on the minor issues that entail a 23 year old truck. Will be using it for road trips (as it should) and occasional towing.
You must be registered for see images attach

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations!

Conversions are not too uncommon in this area. Mostly late 90s and early 2000 models I've seen for sale.

Looks like a pretty clean van, especially for the year. What rear gear ratio do you have? And how much are planning on towing? @L31MaxExpress runs a similar rig and may have some pointers for you.

zetros

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations!

Conversions are not too uncommon in this area. Mostly late 90s and early 2000 models I've seen for sale.

Looks like a pretty clean van, especially for the year. What rear gear ratio do you have? And how much are planning on towing? @L31MaxExpress runs a similar rig and may have some pointers for you.

Not much honestly, it’s more of a “nice to have if I gotta tow”. I doubt I’ll get anywhere near the maximum tow rating, and even then, I’ve gotta refresh on the suspension as the shocks feel pretty darn soft, even for a 1/2 ton conversion van.

I decoded the RPO codes and it has the 3.42 rear end. Does that also imply it having the tow package? I couldn’t find anything referring to it on the RPO sticker but I am not that experienced with this era of GM trucks.

zetros

Reaction score
Wow, a high top??? That can't be common.
Less common in regards to conversion vans. I figured if I’m gonna get 10MPG no matter what, I might as well get the luxury of the headroom and TV to boot. Go big or go home.

That being said, this particular van seems to have an even larger hightop compared to other vans I’ve looked at and my buddy’s ‘97 Explorer conversion. This van is from Rainbow Vans Inc., which appear to have been a company local to Georgia. They’ve been defunct for years though, and I’ve been trying to get in contact with its CEO and CFO because I’ve wanted to gather as much information on this van as I can. So far nothing, though.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not much honestly, it’s more of a “nice to have if I gotta tow”. I doubt I’ll get anywhere near the maximum tow rating, and even then, I’ve gotta refresh on the suspension as the shocks feel pretty darn soft, even for a 1/2 ton conversion van.

I decoded the RPO codes and it has the 3.42 rear end. Does that also imply it having the tow package? I couldn’t find anything referring to it on the RPO sticker but I am not that experienced with this era of GM trucks.

Don't really know about the towing package on the Vans, but on the trucks it was not really related to axle ratio. It was more or less a factory towing hitch and transmission cooler, (maybe something else?) engine oil cooler? I believe. I think the 1500s trucks had 3.42/3.73 in that package though.

The trailering package was RPO code Z82 or Z85, can't remember which one.

Last edited:

zetros

Reaction score
Don't really know about the towing package on the Vans, but on the trucks it was not really related to axle ratio. It was more or less a factory towing hitch and transmission cooler, (maybe something else?) engine oil cooler? I believe. I think the 1500s trucks had 3.42/3.73 in that package though.

The trailering package was RPO code Z82 or Z85, can't remember which one.

I've attached a picture of the RPO sticker on my van. Only one I found related to anything towing related was KD1, which said something along the lines of "transmission oil cooler" (Would that be the stock cooling unit or an actual external cooler?), although there aren't any that specifically say towing/trailering package. I'll have to get under the van to see for myself.

Not sure the stock axles on these trucks, as I assume that some came with a taller rear end and shorter rear ends than mine depending on the configuration.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Less common in regards to conversion vans. I figured if I’m gonna get 10MPG no matter what, I might as well get the luxury of the headroom and TV to boot. Go big or go home.

That being said, this particular van seems to have an even larger hightop compared to other vans I’ve looked at and my buddy’s ‘97 Explorer conversion. This van is from Rainbow Vans Inc., which appear to have been a company local to Georgia. They’ve been defunct for years though, and I’ve been trying to get in contact with its CEO and CFO because I’ve wanted to gather as much information on this van as I can. So far nothing, though.

As long as I can remember mine got 17-19 mpg on long trips, sometimes close to 550 miles a tank. 97 low-top with a 350 Vortec, 4L60E and 3.42s. That rig would really benifit from a 4.10 or even 4.56 gear and locking differential of some kind. The 1-ton 10.5 had 3.73 gears and with the LT265/75R16 I was turning 3,000 rpm @ 70 in 3rd. Moved that differential up to a 5.13 gear and turn 2,850 in overdrive at 70 mph. With a stock 350 I would gear to turn around 2,800 rpm in 4th gear at your top cruising speed (usually 70 mph). I went a little more because I tow a 6,000 lbs travel trailer that is 11' tall, 8' wide and 26' overall length. My low top 97 got the same fuel mileage in 3rd as it did in 4th because of the frontal area so I regeared to turn slightly less rpm in 4th than it previously did in 3rd. My low-top van killed the stock 4L60e in 38K miles and the 4L65E built spec unit in 40K. Swapped to a 4L85E. I have also converted mine to a full 1-ton 8-lug suspension. With the conversion package the 1/2 ton model is sprung too lightly. I did an add a leaf first before towing my travel trailer and it did well with the stock van. I also went to Hellwig for a 1-3/8" rear sway bar and a 1-1/2" front sway bar. The front hellwig bar that size is listed for 03+ but the vans use the same front sway bar from 96-current. The 8.5 10-bolt is pretty weak in these vans but GM put a 9.5" 10-bolt under the 96-02 G2500 6-lug models that is a near direct bolt in-swap. Use the front rotors from the same van and you can run many of GMs nice aluminum 6-lug wheel options. Speaking of rotors, I swapped to a hydroboost from a 1-ton van with 1-ton front calipers even when I had the stock suspension and brakes. Way more stopping power for all the weight. A year ago I built a 383 to give me more power. Should have come from the factory with an aluminum head 383 is all I have to say.

When you tune up one of these vans make sure you use good ignition parts. I have a good cap and rotor with brass terminals as well as Taylor Tundervolt 8.2mm wires with ceramic boots. The cheaper components even the AC Delco ones only last 2-3 years with the underhood heat. Even the factory manifolds cook the boots. I added LT1 metal heat shields onto the boots and that helped them live longer.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also one upgrade I would suggest right off the bat is the later GMT400 tow package fan like you would find on a 99 Tahoe and later recycled by GM into the LS powered 03+ vans. The factory 5 bladed steel fan does not pull enough air on a hot day. Causes the fan clutch to stay locked in and the fan to sap power even on the highway at 70 mph I found it kicking in repeatedly. I put the 11 blade plastic fan on it and had a noticeably difference in my engine temps as well as my idle and low-speed a/c output. I upgraded the fan and the fan clutch, used a severe duty thermal clutch that spins a little faster while freewheeling for added cooling. Between the larger fan and stiffer clutch spinning it a little more rpm the fan clutch seldom fully locked in.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also saw you were looking for shocks. KYB Monomax are what I used and they really work well controlling the heavy van without being too aggressive. My stock GM shocks were wasted at about 80K miles when I swapped them out.

Last edited: