A/C problem, almost at wits end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbduncan

Reaction score
I am having a problem with my A/C and I would like some help, maybe I am overlooking something. Truck is a 1996 GMC C1500 with 5.7l.

The high side service port blew out, so I replaced it and vacuumed/recharged the system. After a couple of days the compressor started short cycling, but after about 10 minutes of driving it would stay on. After a couple more days it wouldn't kick on at all. I hooked up my gauges and I still had a charge. The compressor wouldn't kick on by jumping the low pressure switch on the accumulator.

I used this very nice write up and thought I had it narrowed down to the control unit. I ordered another control unit off eBay and system behaves the same. I've checked the A/C fuses and jumpered both pressure switches. The only way I can get the compressor to kick on is by jumping 12v to pin 30 in the relay socket.

Is there anything I may be overlooking? Thanks in advance, I am tired of this Alabama summer.

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you try replacing the relay? If you jump it and system works, I'd try that.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Low side switch possibly bad !? What does the gauges say when you jump it and run it ? Is it over charged / under charged ? When it is running is it cold/hot/cool ? Have you felt the line going into and out of drier/accum to see if you have a blockage ? Just ideas for you.

sbduncan

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions Dubs and Oldblue98, I appreciate y'all taking the time to read and reply.

I did some more checking last night, and found a blown 10 amp A/C fuse in the underhood fusebox. This fuse supplies power to the A/C relay. When i went to switch the A/C on, I heard a pop
from the new-to-me control panel. I had a chance to look at it today and found a blown transistor on the board. From what I have read this is one of the most common failure points with these control units. The post I linked above suggested soldering a jumper across the two pins I marked, and this solved my problem. I hope this helps someone out in the future.

You must be registered for see images attach