A/C delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I've looked around on forums and everyone says you can't delete your evaporator and retain heat. Is this still the case, most of the threads where old. I have everything removed from my A/C system except the evaporator, it is a 91 Silverado. Worst case I'll just chop the ends off of the evaporator that goes through the firewall but I'd like to completely delete it all.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure why anybody would say that, as it's incorrect.

Not sure why you'd bother.

Richard

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure why anybody would say that, as it's incorrect.

Not sure why you'd bother.

Richard

So I can remove the evaporator without any issues?

I am deleting it because I want the engine bay to look cleaner, I'm in mid LS swap, my dash is off, I want to save weight and in Canada I enjoy every bit of warm weather I can because it gets taken away quite quickly.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd think hanging onto it would be worth it for the impact it makes on defrost.

At any rate, yeah you can just pull the evaporator core out. The fan blows straight across it - all air that goes through the HVAC system crosses through the evaporator core first, then there's a door on the other side of it that controls how much of the heater core is exposed. No reason that removing the evaporator core would affect heat or even just regular fresh air flow through the system.

However...you will need to pull the dash in order to get the HVAC box off the firewall to split it open and remove the core.

Richard

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd think hanging onto it would be worth it for the impact it makes on defrost.

At any rate, yeah you can just pull the evaporator core out. The fan blows straight across it - all air that goes through the HVAC system crosses through the evaporator core first, then there's a door on the other side of it that controls how much of the heater core is exposed. No reason that removing the evaporator core would affect heat or even just regular fresh air flow through the system.

However...you will need to pull the dash in order to get the HVAC box off the firewall to split it open and remove the core.

Richard

Alright that's good to know, thanks! My dash is pulled already. I have another question for you well your here, I was taking my engine harness off while pulling my engine I have these two plugs-ins I'm not sure what to do with, they connected to the engine harness. There are also to other plug-ins. I'm going a completely stand alone harness. All of them went through the passenger side firewall. Here are some pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
3.8 pounds later and its out. Definitely not worth taking off the dash for, but mine was already off.