A/C delete pulleys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swans.2000.3500

Trainwreck
Reaction score
Recently did this to mine. A/C compressor is junk, but I don't want to completely remove the A/C system incase I want to redo it down the road. Took the compressor off, threw a delete pulley in there, and capped the lines.
Could you tell any difference in performance or any benefits at all?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score

No. Just that one thing isn't going to make a difference in the way it feels. Honestly, You need around a 10-20HP change to actually feel it when you drive.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score

There is no difference between running a compressor or running the "delete pulley".

As already mentioned, when the AC is "off" or non functional the compressor pully freewheels on it's bearings.

The "delete pulley" is the same thing; a pulley freewheeling on it's bearings.

The only reason the pulley remains in the system on non ac trucks is so the belt doesn't flap excessively and to maintain proper belt to pulley contact surfaces.

About the only performance gain you will see by removing the AC compressor is dropping roughly 5-10 lbs.

That is insignificant when talking about a street driven vehicle....

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score

All these tuner guys that remove their AC trying to achieve more HP are somewhat crazy. It doesn't make enough of a differance to make yourself miserable during the summertime.

Old Goat Ninja

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right behind you with Duct tape stretched out
AC delete works on 4 bangers, but that's about it. And when I say works, I mean it's a noticeable change. My DD is a 4 banger and I'll turn off the AC before the light turns green haha. Not that I'm racing, but you can feel the difference.

As far as deleting, if it's dead, I'd delete it. The little defroster setting tries to use the AC a little. I had an old car that AC was going out on. It would clickity click like crazy. So I just didn't use it. But then when winter came, I'd turn on defroster, and clickity clack came back. That's when I learned defroster uses AC even if it's set to hot or warm.