A/C Condenser Fan/Wiring Issue, and a TPS Question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as cutting out goes... have you had your ignition module tested yet. Even a new one can be bad..

But yes... I destroyed my tps sensor when it got water logged("puddle" was larger then it looked...lol) tested intermittently.. replaced it and fired right up and no issues since..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

MouthForWar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firstly, I want to apologize if I came across as rude or anything, that was certainly not my intention and I'm more than open to the discussion. There was definitely a fan here at one point; I assumed that since AllData says there is one, that it was stock. Apparently this may or may not be the case, but if not, I absolutely stand corrected.

This is all compounded by the fact that this engine is a wiring nightmare...nearly everything has been cut, spliced, tapped into, rerouted, etc....in some cases, in multiple spots. Now, apparently the horn is in the correct spot, (I feel a bit stupid), but even its wires were cut and respliced at some point for god knows what....leading me to believe it had been relocated as well.

Anyway, I just got done blowing out the radiator/condenser/cooler; there was indeed quite a bit of dust, bugs, etc in there. So we'll see. I do not know the exact age of the radiator, but it looks to be in just a tad more worn condition than my '08 Ford Fusion with slighly fewer miles..so I'm guessing about eight to ten years or so?

I will try swapping in the stock stat or maybe even the 205.

The fan has noticeable resistance when the engine is off, and does not free spin more than 1- 1 1/2 rotations. It also blows noticeably harder still at higher temps.

As far as the TPS goes, replaced it today and no dice. So I suppose the MAP is next. Lol.

MouthForWar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, these are the wires I mentioned that are just hanging out on the passenger side of the engine bay....not plugged into anything, and doesn't look like they have been in a while. They go back to the main harness at the firewall. 2 pin connector, which had disintegrated and finally fell off. Any ideas?

You must be registered for see images attach

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those wires are for the under hood light that mounts to the inside of the passenger fender
You must be registered for see images attach

MouthForWar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that's interesting. I definitely don't have that...I have an underhood light, but its mounted to the actual underside of the hood (looks stock to me), and there's nothing where yours is. My buddy has a 'Burban a couple years newer and his is in the same spot as mine. Does your truck have two engine bay lights then, or no? His Suburban doesn't. So idk. I have those wires though. lol.

The adventures of old trucks....

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, both lights. The light mounted to the inner fender reels out and has wiring long enough to reach to the left rear tire of the truck. Not all but most of the GMT400's I've seen have this type of light.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
On the thermostat I would recommend staying with the 195. The engine computer was designed with that temp in mind. No need to go with a hotter one.

If the blowing out of the fins do not help and if the thermostat change does not help then I would definitely change the radiator. Also if you see white calcium looking material building up on the surface area inside of the radiator I would change it out. I use either a 50/50 premix or mix my own with distilled water, I never use tap water in a radiator.

MouthForWar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
89RCLB: Huh. That's pretty cool actually. Gonna have to track one down then. Thanks a ton! Now that's accounted for.

The wiring schematics on Alldata and in the Chiltons are actually far less than helpful in identifying a lot of auxiliary functions and random **** like that.

magimerlin: Forgot to mention that the ignition module was next on the list after the MAP, which is testing out with significantly lower voltage than it's supposed to under various loads. Gonna try that first, then we'll move down the line.

77Impala: Yea, I'll go ahead and grab the 195. Also, no hard water deposits that I notice, but I do actually just run tap water in the mix. One of the mechanics that I learned most of what I know from once told me that issues with tap water really haven't been an issue since the 80s, so I guess I've never concerned myself with it.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
Where I live and use to live we have hard water. The former place had water so hard that radiators and home hot water tanks did not live past 10 years if they made it that long. I just do not trust tap water for anything but washing and some cooking. I do not even drink our local water (from a lake or 2), cannot stand the taste of it. Now where I formerly lived the water did taste really good and came out of the tap at about 60 degrees even on the hottest summer days, but again it had lots of calcium and lime stone in it.

Oh, just remembered that a van I had I had to change the radiator out after I personally change both the water pump and thermostat. The pump it did need and the thermostat was precautionary sine I was real close to it with the alternator/AC compressor bracket removed to change the pump. The radiator had been cleaned and repaired prior to my purchasing the van and it looked really clean on the inside. But the repairs had sealed to many of the flow channels that it could not keep up on hotter days.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo