'99 K2500 CCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
A '99 will already have "dual" exhaust though...just would need two mufflers or a dual in/out (what I have), which will help with balancing out the longer driver side. And I don't lean one way or the other, I do my research and lean that way.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A '99 will already have "dual" exhaust though...just would need two mufflers or a dual in/out (what I have), which will help with balancing out the longer driver side.

I didn't know that they had factory dual exhaust. Learn something new every day! That might work, depending on the OP's budget and goals.

And I don't lean one way or the other, I do my research and lean that way.

Your comments suggest that you value price and ease of installation over absolute performance, but I apologize if I put words in your mouth. Do you have anything on your shorties vs. manifolds or long tubes? I've seen comparisons of other brands on other vehicles, but never anything on a GMT400.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Yes sir, starting in '96 the Y-pipe was ditched and each bank received its own pipe, which then went to a single muffler and tailpipe. You can get "true dual" exhaust by stacking two mufflers side by side, but this then creates an unequal flow due to the Bank 1 pipe being longer since it has to travel all the way to the passenger side because of the fuel tank. This is solved with an X or H pipe, or using a dual in/out muffler.

No hard feelings at all, its not that I value one thing over the other, I value whats best suited. Having a large displacement engine that does not rev high, a mild cam, long exhaust pipes, a heavy vehicle, and with the intention of being daily driven, my research pointed to large tube short headers. Ease of installation was moot, I had the front clip off and already planned to have the exhaust done from the headers back. I merely pointed out price and ease of installation because he is 4wd and did not specify his budget.

Unfortunately I do not have any solid numbers yet. Even when I do get around to dynoing Red, the gain will also be contributed to the other mods, so I will not know for sure what the headers did by themselves. However, I am planning a smallblock build very soon for a Tahoe, and intend on getting numbers after every mod, starting with headers. I have a pair of OBS shorties and a pair of Doug Thorley Tri-Y, though I think that is an unfair comparison. Even then, thats on a smallblock, big blocks are a different breed.

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the thoughts guys but I think when I get it back out of the transmission shop I am just going to go with a good custom tune and drive it till it starts getting overly tired. With 183k on the clock it just doesnt make sense to do any internal engine mods and I just cant see a set of headers making any noticeable gains with out some supporting mods. When I rebuild it ill plan on camming and hopefully setting it up with a supercharger but for now I am going to focus on some cosmetic issues.