99 C3500 Crew Dually build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
Not so bad I suppose, I have a spare on the stand, and my buddy has one too. Just need to get my arse going and get this **** done

dave_erald

Reaction score
So begins one of the longest days of my life, I'm positive others have had worse days than this, but this was most definitely not fun.

It went from "this is a good day for a drive" to "this is taking forever" to "finally it's out and loaded" to "too loud in here" to "I'll just make a quick stop" to "what was that?....hmm maybe nothing....awwww f*** s*** p*** motherf******" to "hey, I might actually get home" to "oh thank you lord sweet baby Jesus"

Onward..

Saturday 1:00pm

Kids off to parents in laws house, get back home, connect trailer, load up tools, cellphone charger, bottles of water, check Google maps one more time, check strap on oxy/acet torch. Load cherry picker just in case.
Check oil level in engine. 1:45pm hit road.

You must be registered for see images attach

4:15pm

Made it to Jeremy's house just outside Orangeville Ontario.

And here sits the donor truck.

12:10pm

Engine and transmission are loaded and strapped down on trailer. This was more of an ordeal than I care to ever go through ever again.

Ended up lifting the engine and transmission out as one assembly with a leaky old POS Massey Ferguson backhoe. Like wrecked, this thing was garbage, it couldn't hold the engine and trans up AND drive backwards at the same time, so guess what, grab a less crappy but still old IH tractor and lash it off to the Massey. Massey holds up the engine combo, IH pulls the entire circus backwards. Reverse trailer under engine, drop it down. Strap it up and drive away. Good grief..

Sunday 12:35am

Stop at Orangeville McDonalds to grab some food. It was just my luck, haven't had food or a coffee in more than 6hrs, and here this place is packed with 16 to 20 something yr olds and noisier than all hell. Horses***

1:45am

Mobbin down the 410 south, jump on 401 west heading home. Hardly any vehicles in sight. Music on. Cruisin. This is pretty good. Better stop for fuel

2:30am

Stop outside Cambridge at an enroute and add some diesel to the tank. Check straps and tires and load again. Looks cherry.

2:30am

BANG

Ah ****....**** **** ****.

...coast off the 401 onto the shoulder. Pop the hood..

Belt tensioner pulley decided it had had enough. Seized, took the bolt with it and f***ed off out of here. Fine...quitter

Strange..belt is fine, tensioner is still there and mostly usable *looks past truck to the trailer* hmmmm.....I have a parts motor..maybe maybe

One tooooo wide pulley, oil cooler plate bolt, three ECM bolt washers and a strip of cardboard later. Viola

Turned this..

dave_erald

Reaction score
...into this

3:25am

Slowly start on the way back home.

(Side note) noticed the down draft tube off the less than ideal ring seal old turbocharged 6.2l diesel didn't care for the 2100rpm high boost 401 cruising, bunch of black oil on the frame. Ok, I'll slow down a little...also, not entirely confident on my roadside repair of the tensioner assembly. Slow it is

5:00am

The **** show is backed in the laneway, I'm showered and in bed. Good god

And here's where I left it, Mcdonalds fries and tools and clothes and empty water bottles scattered all over the interior of the cab.

But it's in the laneway and home.

What a ride

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
235/85R16's, 4:10 gears, GV OD, 4L80E, i hit 2K rpm going about 67 mph. rarely get it over 2K. when i can get enough lead out of my arse i will be taking out the ATT and swapping for the GM6 turbo.

dave_erald

Reaction score
Now that you say that @deejaaa i should think back, maybe I was only creeping up on 2000rpm, and not over as I first thought. 285/75 with 4.10 gears and a 4l80 not locking up the torque converter in my truck. Still, probably should throw a boost gauge on there and see just how high it is getting

dave_erald

Reaction score
I need to continue to update this thing so that I stay motivated and moving towards a goal.

Am I the only one that likes the topkick instruments?

I get it, outdated Moonie gauges. I like it, big whoop wanna fight about it? EDIT: ok, so technically it's not a full moonie gauge

This I need to tear apart soon and see if it's any good inside. Mostly because I know my TCM is not..

When I unplugged it from the truck and turned it connector side down a good cup full of brown water drained out my new to me wtec iii TCM.. great

Last edited: