99 Burb girl drove car and it overheated and shut off & towed home - please help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sreinke

Reaction score
It is very possible your radiator is bad. I have seen where the oil coller in the radiator cracked and mixed with coolant. My 94 chevy has trans cooler and oil coller in the radiator.

whytry

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK well finally tackling this project.

I have found a motor at a local wrecking yard, with 120k on it, 6 month warranty too, for $600, complete long block. I will be pulling the old one this weekend coming up and then getting to start the new one next week. I was looking at some perforamance stuff while at it. I just had CAI, and exhaust on it. But while I'm here was looking at adding some small stuff that can always be moved to the blown motor once I rebuild it. Was looking at the Summit headers (Pacesetters) and a Mass Air Spacer, combined only $240. I have about $1000 I have been putting away for this project and I am assuming there is going to be some stuff I have not accounted for, like new plugs, hoses, etc. This is where I am thinking now. Anybody have any other suggestions? Do not want to tear into guts on this motor, just quickly replace it so I can then tow my 68 Camaro to get it painted....

But if you had $1000 to spend and $600 was motor, am I on the wrong track for some little performance mods?

Lastly, is there a post that has steps to remove this motor, that I can follow, I have done motor pulls on my 68 Camaro but that is easy... Nothing really wired...

THX all!!

B-

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Save your $$$. The headers are a minimal gain and the maf is worthless. Just get it running with new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I would put in a new water pump and thermostat as well. If you really want to do something with the money then replace the exhaust from the y pipe to the tail pipe. The factory y pipe was garbage.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with skylark, get it running make sure there's nothing wrong do a good tune up then slowly start on upgrades