99 7.4 cam replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klittle1417

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is a good stock like replacement cam for my 7.4 vortec. Looking to replace cam and lifters. Don't need anything massive.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depending on what you are going to do with your truck (tow, daily drive, off-road) the Comp Cams Xtreme Energy look like the best bang for your buck. A lot of guys with the 7.4 Vortec have installed them and like them a lot.

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...=CTGY&Store_Code=CC&Category_Code=GVICAMHYDXE

When I get the chance, I'm going with the XR258HR for low end grunt for towing and hill climbing. Also, I don't feel like buying any larger injectors since mine are brand new. But I'd say the top one on that list is your best "just a bit more than stock" replacement. What other Mods have you done? If your truck is stock you may want to think about a tune and higher flowing exhaust, because it will make the truck feel very different.

Kacy

Reaction score
What is a good stock like replacement cam for my 7.4 vortec. Looking to replace cam and lifters. Don't need anything massive.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

have read that replacing the timing set with aftermarket will install the cam correctly instead of *retarded* like they were from GM.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
have read that replacing the timing set with aftermarket will install the cam correctly instead of advanced like they were from GM.

I thought GM retarded them. Advancing them is a good thing, builds torque.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I read a review on the trucks that was published circa 1995. Apparently GM knew exactly what they were doing by setting conservative timing and retarding the camshaft. Apparently it was done for "operator comfort" and to "reduce engine noise" which I think worked very well. A stock LS engine sounds much more like a V8 than a stock L29 which is horribly disappointing (and yes I do realize I'm not exactly comparing apples to apples here...). Leave it to GM to take what could have been an absolute monster of an engine which is capable of much more power than they were willing to give it, and choke it down to a neutered lap dog. Meager and unreliable 19lb injectors, conservative ignition timing, retarded cam timing, non adjustable rocker arms, and the most obstructive exhaust system known to man handicapped this truck beyond belief. I'm sure I'm missing one other thing they did to screw it up too.