98c1500 truck build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
What about cutting that dirty ******* out and adding flares

Problem is how much is already there.

The bubbles are pretty far up so you can count on at least another inch or two above that.

I'd say you're going to loose up to the character line to cut oit the rust on the back edge at least.

You're going to need a pretty big flare to cover that.

Even then, the rust has got a foot hold. Once that happens, its a loosing battle. All you can hope to do is prolong it.

Especially in an Ontario climate.

The problem with these trucks is the fender well meets the outer body panel inside and makes a "pocket". This pocket accumulates dirt and road grime over the years. This holds moisture in there and causes the rust we all see.

Part of my spring and fall routine is to get the air nozzle in there and blow it clean. I dont use a hise as that just turns it into more of a mudball/rock and adds moisture (what you want to avoid). Then it gets hits with fluid film, krown or some other similar rust coating. Only way to save 'em in Canada.

Once rust has got its teeth in there, its just a matter of time....

:(

Last edited:

98c1500

Just lift it!
Reaction score
Problem is how much is already there.

The bubbles are pretty far up so you can count on at least another inch or two above that.

I'd say you're going to loose up to the character line to cut oit the rust on the back edge at least.

You're going to need a pretty big flare to cover that.

Even then, the rust has got a foot hold. Once that happens, its a loosing battle. All you can hope to do is prolong it.

Especially in an Ontario climate.

The problem with these trucks is the fender well meets the outer body panel inside and makes a "pocket". This pocket accumulates dirt and road grime over the years. This holds moisture in there and causes the rust we all see.

Part of my spring and fall routine is to get the air nozzle in there and blow it clean. I dont use a hise as that just turns it into more of a mudball/rock and adds moisture (what you want to avoid). Then it gets hits with fluid film, krown or some other similar rust coating. Only way to save 'em in Canada.

Once rust has got its teeth in there, its just a matter of time....

:(

Man, it really is cancer for trucks lol.

98c1500

Just lift it!
Reaction score
Well the day has come, trucks getting sold unfortunately - ive been wanting to save for a new camaro and the mpg cost and money from selling will give a nice boost for the camaro fund, sucks but ive caught the fast car bug.