98 Key Fobs: OEM vs. Aftermarket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

Got an aftermarket key fob for my 98 barn door suburban and while it worked great, the first accidental trip through the washing machine killed it. The OEM fob physically fell apart but had survived a few of the same trips beforehand. Is there a top tear brand of aftermarket fob that'll be a bit more durable or is the ~$50 OEM one from GMPartsDirect going to be the best option?

Thanks

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've tried that but it's not working anymore, might have gotten stepped on or something. I'm not even sure I still have the PCB after trying that.

I suppose it's bound to happen eventually. I don't have my original anymore, but it is AN original.... bought it through ebay by matching the FCC ID. There are sellers that specialize in them. I think mine was new, but there are used ones too. It's probably been 15 years. I just got a new case for it a few months ago.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got one from previous owner when I bought my truck. Purchased two more on eBay and successfully programmed them at home (jumping pins 4 and 8 on the DLC, etc.). Let me know if you need seller's eBay ID.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
Boost Auto Parts makes a retrofit key fob for the 1988-98 GM trucks that look like the 2014+ GM trucks. Boost Auto makes some of the highest quality aftermarket parts and I love their stuff.

It has the same amount of buttons that the OE key fob does.
You must be registered for see images attach

Jayboney

Reaction score
I had one from boost for my 96 Tahoe it looked decent but they don't make a 3 button for the rear hatch. Also after about a year you could no longer read the buttons. I ended up buying a couple on eBay that were used oem. One says Buick but they work perfectly.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just dropped $26.50 on a used pair of matched FCC ID units on eBay. We'll see how they hold up and I'll try to do better at keeping them out of the washing machine.

If these poop out on me I'll try the Boost units.