98 gmc sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Okay here is 285's on stock rims:

You must be registered for see images attach

the bead is the lip, what holds the air in- on here, the sidewalls suck in to the narrow rim. The sidwalls are safe- but technically, this is too narrow a rim for a 285

if you "break a bead" it means all the air comes out because the seal has been broken

then we introduce these badboys:

exact same tires:

the tread width did not change (the part that leaves tracks) is the same size. HOWEVER- my sidewalls have been pushed out making them more vulnerable to debris or sharp rocks. Compare the pictures. It is all in the rim. Now I am technically too wide for a 285. If my tires ever get down to 15psi I risk them popping loose. But I always keep a close eye on them so that won't happen. And bigger tires are in the plan anyways.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
well mine are 3.75 in. back spacing so about 1/4 inch farther than men so feel free to check it out

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Imo it will you'll wind up with 4-5 inches sticking out I'll bet. Really there is no need for rims that wide with just 33's...

Hater! :lol:

It's all personal preferance. If you can fit them and like them than do it! I'm sure you can test fit one and see how far they are going to stick out.

McMuscle3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hmm I may just hold off on these. They guy dont have center caps, just the rims along and he is wanting 350. Not a bad price but i feel like I can find a better deal elsewhere.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
hmm I may just hold off on these. They guy dont have center caps, just the rims along and he is wanting 350. Not a bad price but i feel like I can find a better deal elsewhere.

thats pretty high IMO