'98 Denali Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyler09

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there anything different about a '98 Denali motor (350 Vortec) than a regular 350 Vortec? and is there anything different about a 350 vortec crate motor than a regular 350 vortec?

mine is a crate motor and my buddy has a denali vortec and they both seem faster than our friends regular 350 vortec.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if they're all stock they're mostly the same L31 motors, there may be subtle differences but all basically the same as far as I'm aware. there are different types of crate engines that are vortec based like the HT383, etc...

you're also talking about a motor thats over 10 years old, so comparing different ones between friends may be slightly decieving, perhaps the slower one hasn't been as well taken care of and lost some power with time when compared to the denali or your crate, not to mention any modifications or upgrades, differences in transmissions/gearing/etc...lots of little variables that can play a role in things like this...

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
if they're all stock they're mostly the same L31 motors, there may be subtle differences but all basically the same as far as I'm aware. there are different types of crate engines that are vortec based like the HT383, etc...

you're also talking about a motor thats over 10 years old, so comparing different ones between friends may be slightly decieving, perhaps the slower one hasn't been as well taken care of and lost some power with time when compared to the denali or your crate, not to mention any modifications or upgrades, differences in transmissions/gearing/etc...lots of little variables that can play a role in things like this...
x2! and yeah 2 similar truck's with the same engine and trans with one being 3.08 rear end and one being 3.73 will be as different as night and day.

Tyler09

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How do you tell what gears you have? Is it marked on the housing or do you have to tear into it to figure out.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is marked in the glove box in option codes you are looking for the G codes like these GQ1 -- AXLE REAR, STD RATIO
GT4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO
GT5 -- AXLE REAR, 4.10 RATIO
GU4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO
GU5 -- AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
GU6 -- AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO
G80 -- AXLE REAR, LIMITED SLIP (POSITRACTION)

HC4 -- AXLE REAR, 4.56 RATIO

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
You should see the G80 and another Gxx code in the glove box if there is a factory posi.