98 5.7 Oil Pan Leak at the front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carl425

Reaction score
I replaced my oil pump recently and when I put everything back together I used a Fel-Pro one piece oil pan gasket, P/N OS34500R. I put a very thin bead of Optimum Grey RTV in the corners where the pan and the timing cover curves mate and across the curve/arc of the gasket. After letting it run and not seeing any leaks, I shut it off and oil started dripping from the lowest point at the front of the pan. I lowered the pan and put some additional RTV in the area and put it back together, same thing.

I've looked at the area thoroughly and it's definitely coming from that specific area. No leaks from anywhere else. When I put it back together both times, I had to put bolts in both sides and work it up by alternating tightening the bolts between the left and right sides. It seemed like it was having a harder time mating up like it should.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are there different P/N's for the 96+ 5.7 that uses the one-time use timing cover?