97 Suburban Radio Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waycooljr32

Reaction score
I tried looking but didn't see any direct threads concerning this. I want to replace the factory head unit in my Burb, is there any concern or anything I need to do regarding the Anti Theft/Security on the truck? Not sure if the head unit is tied to it somehow or if it will cause any issues? TIA.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
If the factory radio/cassette player has the Theftlock function activated, there's a little orange LED that will light up on the face of the unit. Upper LH corner I think? If that light isn't on when the truck is running you should be okay.
There by the volume knob, the little dot at 2 o'clock, is the LED light that signifies the Theftlock function is activated.

Attachments

• IMG_20211217_145206.jpg
    IMG_20211217_145206.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stereo has no bearing on these older trucks. Only odd thing u could run into is if you are replacing a factory radio with another factory unit, sometimes they get theft locked and u need to try and contact him with OG vin radio came out of and they could give you an unlock code , but prolly cost as much as a decent aftermarket radio.

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
.....regarding the Anti Theft/Security on the truck? Not sure if the head unit is tied to it somehow......

If I am not mistaken, the OP seems concerned about the trucks security and not the radios security.

Sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but the security (passlock) for these trucks was for 1998 and later models (1997 shouldn't have it).

From what I recall, a 1998 and later gmt400 equipped with security should start and run fine without a radio in place.

Below is a link with a bit of info on the theftlock radio codes, not sure the phone number is still active though.

Best of luck.