97 Silverado Restore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Posting from phone and still learning. Last year I had to replace the defrost blend door. Now I have a Blend Door motor not working so I am just going to replace everything since you have to pull the dash out. That is a big job. Took me about 8 hours to complete last time. Replacing everything. The motors, evaporator, and blend door for defrost.
I found it easier to just replace the lower damper box instead of trying to get the two dampers off of the keys. Well, that and I broke the plastic housing trying it the first time. Here’s the part number should you need it. It comes with the panel and floor dampers installed. The defrost damper is easily removed and replaced.

Looks like a fun project, good luck!

You must be registered for see images attach

Terrys97

Reaction score
A few years ago. I upgraded my Master Cylinder. If I recall correctly it is for a 99 and up truck. Not sure how to post picture in a larger format.

Attachments

• 20210920_174945_HDR.jpg
    20210920_174945_HDR.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Terrys97

Reaction score
Looks like a common issue. I just thought I had all my leaks fixed. Currently thinking of going with Denso Radiator. In the Toyota world, Denso is a great quality part and is used in some domestic cars and trucks. Any suggestions for a radiator brand?

Attachments

• 20210920_174938.jpg
    20210920_174938.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Terrys97

Reaction score
Hello East302.. I see you have been into the dash, it is a big job. Thanks for posting the air box. I think I will go that route as well.

Hello VFJimbo... You are better off probably just changing the complete tail light set. The lense starts to get cloudy. Probably the route Im going to go when I do mine. The door handles are built of plastic and do break easily.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like a common issue. I just thought I had all my leaks fixed. Currently thinking of going with Denso Radiator. In the Toyota world, Denso is a great quality part and is used in some domestic cars and trucks. Any suggestions for a radiator brand?
Is it oil or coolant leaking? Could just try a new o-ring on the oil cooler line and see if it works.

Most aftermarket radiators have a spare port under the cap that isn’t used on the 350 Vortec. They toss a cheap-ass rubber cap on it and it cracks and leaks after a month or two.

Replacement silicone caps can be had that I’ve heard will stand up to the heat, but I’m of the “why bother, just spend the extra money for a better part and be done with it” camp.

The GM/Delco versions do not have it, and that’s what I went with on my other 98s. I still have one 98 truck with that aftermarket radiator and am not overly confident having that spare port.

Last edited:

VFJimbo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello East302.. I see you have been into the dash, it is a big job. Thanks for posting the air box. I think I will go that route as well.

Hello VFJimbo... You are better off probably just changing the complete tail light set. The lense starts to get cloudy. Probably the route Im going to go when I do mine. The door handles are built of plastic and do break easily.
Thank You.

jgreen16

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it oil or coolant leaking? Could just try a new o-ring on the oil cooler line and see if it works.

Most aftermarket radiators have a spare port under the cap that isn’t used on the 350 Vortec. They toss a cheap-ass rubber cap on it and it cracks and leaks after a month or two.

Replacement silicone caps can be had that I’ve heard will stand up to the heat, but I’m of the “why bother, just spend the extra money for a better part and be done with it” camp.

The GM/Delco versions do not have it, and that’s what I went with on my other 98s. I still have one 98 truck with that aftermarket radiator and am not overly confident having that spare port.
Do the BeCool, Griffin, and other aftermarket aluminum radiators have that port also?