97 Silverado Restore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Terrys97

Reaction score
I am currently restoring a 97 Silverado Extended Cab 5.7 auto 2 wheel drive with a short bed. I need to learn how to post pics and will get that figured out shortly. I have done frame off restores in the past and want to keep track of where I have been and keep information easily to find. I do want to post in a section where others can interact with me as well. I need to figure out that too.

I bought this truck a few years ago and really only used it off and on with very little work on it. I plan on getting a lot done this winter. Not a frame off restore but a rolling restore other then when it goes to paint shop. I can paint but my shop is not really big enough to paint this big monster in.

Work done so far.

New Intake gasket - Part#MS98000T
Distributor. -Local part store.
Door pins on passenger side.
Fluid Changes Oil/Radiator/Rear end
Tune up.
Battery
Starter
Tires
O2 sensors Ebay Upstream Bosch#15703 Downstream Bosch#13474
Steering/Suspension Detroit Axle.com

Currently degreasing frame and motor and surface rust removal.

Last edited:

Terrys97

Reaction score
Posting from phone and still learning. Last year I had to replace the defrost blend door. Now I have a Blend Door motor not working so I am just going to replace everything since you have to pull the dash out. That is a big job. Took me about 8 hours to complete last time. Replacing everything. The motors, evaporator, and blend door for defrost.

Attachments

• 20210913_213556.jpg
    20210913_213556.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 15

Terrys97

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I broke my hand a couple of weeks ago so am doing the one hand pictures. I have used every cleaner under the sun for degreasing. Easy Off works best for me. Wish I would of had a before pic. I use it only on metal. Got all of my leaks fixed. Yea!!!! Getting frame cleaned and painted soon.

VFJimbo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I broke my hand a couple of weeks ago so am doing the one hand pictures. I have used every cleaner under the sun for degreasing. Easy Off works best for me. Wish I would of had a before pic. I use it only on metal. Got all of my leaks fixed. Yea!!!! Getting frame cleaned and painted soon.
My truck is a 92, I just bought it in early August. Plz keep the info coming.

Terrys97

Reaction score
My truck is a 92, I just bought it in early August. Plz keep the info coming.
HelloVFJimbo 92 has some changes from 97 but I updated on where I got my parts from on my first post, I got my sensors from ebay after a lot of searching on multiple sites I spent $88 for all 4 sensors. Local parts store wanted $203. I like Detroit Axle for suspension parts.

I go with OEM or better on parts where possible. This build will start slow but will speed up this winter. Great looking truck in your pic.

Terrys97

Reaction score
Everyone wants a sharp looking truck. That does not happen over night, it is a slow process. I have a process of my budget. No Spend, Little Spend and Big Spend.

No Spend is where I use supplies or things that cost nothing. Blowing dust out of a blower motor, cleaning electrical connectors, drill and wire brush parts, bondo and sand paper will go a long ways for me...

Little Spend, $25 or less- buy supplies, small cost parts, buying one part at a time...

Big Spend $100 or more such as buying paint or high cost parts.

You would be surprised at what the No Spend and Little Spend can do for you so when you get to the Big Spend time, the job will go so much easier. Currently I am just doing wire brush and small needed maintenance items. In 2 weeks I am ordering new head lights which will fall into Big Spend. I am also doing my rear brakes and am looking for the best parts to use for them. With the cleaning I am doing it will make the rear brake job a little more easier when I get to them in 2 weeks.

Terrys97

Reaction score
Im sure it is on this forum some where but some of the common problems I see on these trucks is...

Wiper motor acting up. Just remove the wiper board and re solder the big connections on the board. I will post pictures at a later time if needed.

Tail light bulbs burned out.. I had to replace the circuit board that holds the bulbs. These circuit boards are cheap and easily available from most big name part stores or web.

Door handles (Interior and Exterior, I need to fix passenger side on mine)

Last edited: