97 LeSabre smells like unburned gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
97 LeSabre smells like unburned gas. FIXED!

Under the hood as soon as you start it and after you turn it off. Any ideas? A friend of a friend said it's probably a fuel injector or line.

I know it's not a truck but it's a GM product lol

Last edited:

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Those cars are notorious for the FPR leaking. Look around it the next time it's started.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
I didn't think to take a picture before but the little hose was hanging off. Could that have done it? I started it and didn't smell anything..

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
Looks like a bad injector to me but I don't know. I cleaned it up and i'll take a look at it in a day or two to see what it looks like.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the liquid puddle beneath the injector fuel or water? Those intakes were bad about deforming around the water passages at the throttle body, and can start leaking externally. If the hose that you "fixed" is the vacuum line zip tied to the regulator, then you probably have a bad regulator. One way to tell if the vacuum diaphragm inside is ruptured is to smell the hose connected to the regulator. If you get a strong scent of fuel, or if you see fuel in the hose or coming out of the regulator, it's bad and needs to be replaced.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
Haven't pulled it off to smell yet but today I was driving it and the power steering went out then the car died all of a sudden. It drove home fine after that though.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
The line did smell very strongly. Also there it was starting really hard, it would take 8-10sec or two tries before it caught.

Good news, I bought the FPR at Autozone for a total of around $50. Went home and took the old one off. I forgot to release the pressure so it sprayed gas all over the place, including my eyes lol.

After flushing my eye out and drying up the gas in there with q-tips I lubed up the o-ring, put it in there. Next the little filter, and finally the cap. Pressed it down, put the lock back on and the car started right up. Haven't taken it for a ride yet but it seems like problem solved. Thanks for you help guys, I really appreciate it and so does the car!

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to hear! Hope it gets you back on the road.