'97 K1500 Suburban JB6 Brake Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I took my Suburban in for a state inspection today. It passed as usual, but they told me that my rear brake shoes were getting pretty low and would need replacement within the year. I'm shopping around for shoes right now and I was curious to hear input from anyone who's had good or bad experiences with certain products. My main focus right now is on the rear drum/shoe stuff but I'm open to suggestions on the front as well.

First of all, RPO code JB6 on a K1500 with the 10 bolt rear should mean I have 11" drums, correct? Also does anyone know the diameter of the front rotors off hand?

I've seen some people here say good things about PowerStop front pads, but I've never seen anyone mention using their rear shoes on one of these trucks. Here's a link, I'm thinking about trying them out.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwr-b473/overview/year/1997/make/gmc/model/k1500-suburban

Also what drum hardware kits do you all recommend? What about the drums themselves in the event that they need replacement as well? Should I grab some new self-adjusters just in case they're messed up? All input welcome, thanks in advance.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did the drums on my 99 burb a few years ago, about 130k on it at the time. the shoes still had plenty of life left but i swapped out everything including the drums, adjusters and wheel cylinders. parts are pretty cheap, figured 20 year old parts could use a refresh. new shoes should conform with the tsb that helps the truck stop better than oem

your old drums are most likely reusable, but will have a lip on them from normal wear. do yourself a favor and drill a hole in the backplate (there is a punchout that hasnt been removed that you drill out) so you can adjust the brakes.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
new shoes should conform with the tsb that helps the truck stop better than oem

Thanks for the reply! Curious though, what is this TSB you mention?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Curious though, what is this TSB you mention?

By now the TSB is more than likely a moot point as all of the affected parts have either run through the parts system OR been pulled from inventory

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
By now the TSB is more than likely a moot point as all of the affected parts have either run through the parts system OR been pulled from inventory

Good to know, still curious what you guys are talking about though. What was the TSB concerning, specifically? I like learning.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Good to know, still curious what you guys are talking about though. What was the TSB concerning, specifically? I like learning.

Try this link:
to get bulletins
There are a variety of ways to obtain bulletins.

• The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. You can find free summaries of many technical service bulletins for a specific vehicle (along with details about safety investigations, complaints, and other information) by entering a vehicle’s year, make, and model at SaferCar.gov. When you see the results, click on the “Service Bulletins” tab. You can order technical service bulletins from the website. Although the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which runs the website, charges research and copying fees, you shouldn't have to pay anything if you're ordering up to 100 pages (bulletins typically are one to five pages), an NHTSA spokesman told us. But you'll have to wait four to six weeks because the copies are sent by mail.
  • Repair shops. If you’re seeking a specific bulletin, try getting a dealer’s sales or service department to show it to you, particularly if you bought the vehicle there, are planning to, or the dealer is recommending a technical-service-bulletin-related repair. One dealer we asked told us he'd have no problem showing customers technical service bulletins either before or after selling them a vehicle. If you have an independent mechanic that has technical-service-bulletin access, he may be willing to provide it, as well.
  • Vehicle manufacturers. Some automakers, such as Nissan, give customers access to their bulletins, but it can be costly.
  • Independent companies. Some companies sell technical service bulletins. You can see a list of bulletins and other useful vehicle information by obtaining a subscription from ALLDATAdiy.com ($26.95 annually for the first vehicle; $44.95 for five years) and Mitchell 1 DIY ($25.99 annually; $39.99 fours years). You can view sample bulletins by visiting the Mitchell 1 DIY sample vehicle demo.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The TSB indicates replacing the rear brake shoes with kit # 18029651, the front disc pads with kit# 12471685, and replacing the brake proportioning valve with Valve Kit # 125448265. The trucks and Burbs were classified as being of similar design/dimensions for braking purposes, when in fact the increased body weight of the Burb needs grippier brakes, and more rear bias than an empty pickup.