'97 K1500 Suburban 5.7L Starter Choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had very few issues from the PMGR starters. The 383 in my van has the stock one from the van. The 8.1L in the Tahoe has the stock one from the Tahoe. I have put dozens of $15 junkyard pulls on other small block and big block engines. If they ever act up, 9 times out of 10 its the solenoid contacts.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've seen pictures of the Denso starter from Japan and the US. Last I knew Denso was the 2nd largest tier one supplier behind Bosch. They have plants all over the world. My fuel pump is a Denso, but made in china. I would assume in a Denso plant, because they're that big and tend to do everything themselves.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bosch owns OTC tools, and OTC essentially has no warranty any more, and nothing made "here".

I avoid Bosch whenever practical. OTOH, they're the OEM for the fuel pump assembly on my Trailblazer, along with the "better" rotors for that vehicle.
Ruh-roh, I’ve gotta whole bunch’a otc tools…

Rocket Surgeon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. As an owner of a 97 and 98, both with 5.7, I'll need to read this through again and well. I do think both have had starters installed more recently than not, prior to my purchase.
However, if I go chasing used starters, will these newer lighter gear reduction starters be found as stock installations on anything you can can find particularly in yards?

Related, from the world of FWD, is that the 2.8, 3.1, 3.4, 3100, 3400, 3800, 3500 (and others) all use similar starters and have the same heavy clunky early starters to several iterations of smaller lighter starters over the years. I discovered that the strongest starter with both a gear reduction and rib/webbed reinforced housing could be found on supercharged 3800. I have overhauled and adapted a few into earlier cars with good result.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just ordered the Bosch SR8552N and two of the long GM 12338064 starter bolts from RockAuto.

I was going back and forth between the Bosch SR8552N and the ACDelco Gold 337-1022 for a while. Both are a gamble as far as country of origin goes, but a couple things eventually pushed me to the Bosch. First, Bosch is an actual manufacturer. It's very difficult to tell who makes specific ACDelco products any more unless you have insider info. Second, the Bosch is backed by a lifetime unlimited mile free replacement warranty where the ACDelco is only two years. Hopefully I never have to use that warranty, but the fact that they offer it inspires some confidence in the product IMO.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Big blocks got the mini starters, but I think some late small blocks may have also.
Small blocks starting using them around 94 and their useage became more common in 96. The 4.3, 305, 350, 454 and 8.1 all used the same one from what I have seen.

I have picked these up cheap off 4.3 S10s and Astro vans in the yard.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The starter showed up today. It's shiny and has a funny sticker so that's a win.

You must be registered for see images attach

Also noticed a pleasant surprise when I was inspecting the packaging, "Assembled in USA."

You must be registered for see images attach