'97 K1500 Suburban 4WD Actuator Part Number

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So yesterday I pulled the Suburban out of the garage during a big snow storm. I was about to head out but when I pushed the button on the dash to engage 4-Hi I got nothing. It just flashed at me endlessly. I tried to engage it while moving, sitting still, park, neutral, drive, everything I could think of. No luck. I didn't hear it even attempt to engage, no clicks or clunks or anything like that. Fuses are good. Stuff only breaks when you need it, right?

First off, am I pretty safe to assume that this is an actuator issue? Second, what is the ACDelco part number for the original style thermal actuator? I think I have it narrowed down to part number 14048410, but I can't really be 100% sure as I can't find any images of the part. Can anyone confirm?

I know there are upgrades available like the electronic newer style actuator and systems like the Posi-Lok, but I really have no desire to do anything like that as the original thermal actuator has worked just fine for 22 years.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm finding a lot of weird descriptions for that 14048410 part number. Rock Auto and Summit Racing both have them listed under the category of front axle 4WD actuators, but the description calls them a "governor" for a G80 rear end... Still can't find any pictures. Starting to doubt that it's the correct part.

Found an Amazon review for one of the Dorman electronic actuators that mentioned ACDelco 26013495 as an original thermal actuator part number for a '96 K1500, but when I plug that number into Google it seems like a discontinued part. I only found one Amazon listing for a whopping $225. It seems like ACDelco doesn't actually make a thermal actuator for these trucks anymore and is recommending the electronic actuator (26060073) and wiring harness (12117277) as a replacement.

If anyone can confirm any of this, that would be most appreciated. Also any insight towards the best course of action if that's the case. I'll do the thermal to electric conversion if that's really the best option but it looks like a few companies still sell drop in thermal actuators.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rock Auto lists a Standard Motor Products TCA21 and an Airtex 1S10774 as compatible thermal actuators. The Airtex is more expensive by exactly six dollars, both have a three year/36 thousand mile warranty. I have zero experience with either company so if anyone has opinions on one vs the other I'd love to hear them.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just wanted to update this thread in case anyone else has the same issue. It was the actuator.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Food for thought...
If you ever get tired of the thermal actuator activating and stare at the lights waiting for them to get solid I'd highly recommend upgrading to the electronic one,I did years ago and love it.Since there is no gas to heat up it actuates in seconds and will stay connected until you decide to de-activate it.The thermal one might disengage if it gets cold(maybe driving in snow or ice water).I used Dorman parts and are still working as they were the day I did the upgrade.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I appreciate the input, thanks! I went with another thermal one. Like I mentioned I really don't have any problems with waiting a minute for engagement and I've never had it disengage in cold weather. Even when the 'burb was buried up to the frame in snow. :lol: If it ever gives me trouble again I may consider upgrading to an electronic one.