97 K1500 Selector Won't Go Into 1, Also Not In Proper Position When D Is Selected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91350burb

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, picked up a 97 K1500 about a month ago. Gear selector is off. When I pull the lever all the way down the lowest it will go is 2. and when its in D its supposed to be level and "latched" would be the best way I can explain it. Currently when it is in OD it is in the approximate location it would be in if you selected the 3 instead. I assume it just needs to be adjusted but I'm not used to these transmissions (I dont even know what tranny I have to be honest.) I don't know if this helps but its the 14 bolt rear end.

any adjustment help would be appreciated! or other ideas as well. It also doesn't have a R lock out. it just slides right into reverse without even having to pull the lever out or anything.

91350burb

Reaction score
Update:

The selector does lock out of reverse. the reason I thought it did not was because it is already out of the latch part when it is in gear because it is out of adjustment. If I put it slowly into N so that it drops into the notch and then try to push it into R it wont go unless I pull the lever towards me then push into R. when the lever is in D and I push it straight into P or R it slides right in because the lever is not in its latch currently.

dr_goodwrench66

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a shift cable! And if it's a 1500 you got the 4L60E.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Your little plastic end on the trans is probably broken. It is adjustable, but its probably broken and sliding in/out when you move the shifter.

91350burb

Reaction score
The cable runs under the carpet on a column shift truck and are known to get rusted out
I'll take a look at it and see if its rusted.

Sounds like you need a shift cable! And if it's a 1500 you got the 4L60E.
Ok cool. If my cable is rusted I'll end up replacing it.

Your little plastic end on the trans is probably broken. It is adjustable, but its probably broken and sliding in/out when you move the shifter.
Will this be fixed if I replace the cable?

How hard is the cable to replace?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Yes this is part of the cable. Its kinda hard to replace without removing the carpet. Its also a PITA to have to pull the seats/carpet, so you get to pick your demons here.

firebane

Reaction score
I'll take a look at it and see if its rusted.

Ok cool. If my cable is rusted I'll end up replacing it.

Will this be fixed if I replace the cable?

How hard is the cable to replace?

Cable is actually quite easy to replace. You will have to pull the driver seat out but that is about it. The rest is just wiggling it through all the tight spots.