97 gmc k1500 5.7 loud fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97moneypit

Reaction score
Hello back again.

It seems to me that my truck engine fan is always on or its just loud.

When I first start the truck and and give it a couple of revs all you hear is the fan. The fan goes up with engine ram.

Im not 100% if this is normal or not. When engine off I can move the fan fairly easy by hand.

I was just going to replace the fan and clutch as it doesn't seem that expensive to replace but anyone have any suggestions before I do?

Are there any upgraded fan/clutch options i can look at? To help reduce noise and possible maybe gain some power from a better set up?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Some people feel like the factory plastic fan is too loud. It has like 11 blades as opposed to the old metal fans the square body truck used, so it's moving twice as much air. This would in theory make it louder....
I've not had this issue on my 5.7(99 C1500 Burb); but I have also noticed many electric fan equipped vehicles to have loud fans compared to the engine noise.
On the fan clutch, I personally would recommend the heavy duty unit( bigger and has more fins, best for hot climates and a truck that sees lots of traffic or gets used like a truck, towing, hauling heavy loads etc.).

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some people feel like the factory plastic fan is too loud. It has like 11 blades as opposed to the old metal fans the square body truck used, so it's moving twice as much air. This would in theory make it louder....
I've not had this issue on my 5.7(99 C1500 Burb); but I have also noticed many electric fan equipped vehicles to have loud fans compared to the engine noise.
On the fan clutch, I personally would recommend the heavy duty unit( bigger and has more fins, best for hot climates and a truck that sees lots of traffic or gets used like a truck, towing, hauling heavy loads etc.).
i think the fan clutch would make the noise based on what kind it is. an HD making more noise.
You must be registered for see images attach

blade count, pitch, the clutch assembly, etc. diameter. OP could go for a lower duty fan but put a pusher in the front to help Ac and cooling based on a temp or switch

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Man I haven't seen one of those 3 blade fans in a long time! The Vortec motors I see down south all have the plastic 9 or 11 blade fans that go around the fan clutch ( since the water pump and clutch are connected by the big nut on the shaft, 35 or 36mm). Maybe with AC front and rear and towing package, that's how they were set up originally. Both my 99 Burbs were so equipped....