97 Chevy Steering wheel upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Resurrection here but wanted to offer some praise on this.

Bought a 2012 Malibu set up based on this and cross-referenced information. Plan to do the swap soon but need to source the upper steering shaft first.

How difficult and what's the time investment like to teardown for the upper steering shaft?

Wondering if I should u-pull it or just pay a little more and order and save myself hours if that's the case.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
You could probably do the swap in an hour or two.

Thanks for the info. I just bit the bullet and Ebay sourced a partial column from a 2004 CTS 3.6 tha has the upper shaft included. $53 shipped figured it was worthwhile to save a trip and time at the yard pulling one myself.

Felix Sandler

Reaction score
Good info here. Want to add couple pieces from myself.

1999 tahoe, 2009 cobalt steering wheel

Had to trim back steering column plastics so the wheel wouldn't run on them.

Also drilled the steering wheel for the factory horn wire plug. Cut the spring loaded plug from my original wheel, added it to the cobalt wheel. Also got a small nut and bolt and grounded the black wire from the horn contact to an existing hole in the wheel. New airbag is dual stage, I connected the grey connector which is coil#1 to my original airbag wiring, second coil is unplugged.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks great.
I am going to assume that the buttons on the wheel don't work.

What I really want to know about is, is the cluster. details, please.

Good info here. Want to add couple pieces from myself.

1999 tahoe, 2009 cobalt steering wheel

Felix Sandler

Reaction score
Looks great.
I am going to assume that the buttons on the wheel don't work.

What I really want to know about is, is the cluster. details, please.

Cluster is 2004 GTO. It gets all its data from the obd2 port, need the GTO BCM, and GTO PIM modules too for communications. no 4x4 light, and airbag light doesnt seem to work right. I just blocked it off. Short version, cut up stock cluster in to a shell with a lens. cut up GTO cluster until it fits inside the tahoe shell, fill with hotglue. I tried using vinyl carbon fiber film to cover empty space, but vinyl shrunk in the summer heat over time. need to take apart and re-do..

also had to go in with hptuners and adjust fuel tank parameters in the tune, the gauge reads backwards from the tahoe one. took fuel gauge setup from a gto tune, and adjusted tank capacity to match the tahoe tank. end result is acurate as can be.

also purchased an interface module so cluster can be programmed, now on startup it shows a chevy emblem instead of pontiac. stuck a bowtie over the GTO letters on the front.

Last edited:

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cluster is 2004 GTO. It gets all its data from the obd2 port, need the GTO BCM, and GTO PIM modules too for communications. no 4x4 light, and airbag light doesnt seem to work right. I just blocked it off. Short version, cut up stock cluster in to a shell with a lens. cut up GTO cluster until it fits inside the tahoe shell, fill with hotglue. I tried using vinyl carbon fiber film to cover empty space, but vinyl shrunk in the summer heat over time. need to take apart and re-do..

also had to go in with hptuners and adjust fuel tank parameters in the tune, the gauge reads backwards from the tahoe one. took fuel gauge setup from a gto tune, and adjusted tank capacity to match the tahoe tank. end result is acurate as can be.

also purchased an interface module so cluster can be programmed, now on startup it shows a chevy emblem instead of pontiac. stuck a bowtie over the GTO letters on the front.

You should do a write up thread on it.
Include all of the pics & part #'s that you have. I'm pretty sure others would appreciate seeing this mod.

Bear 77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should do a write up thread on it.
Include all of the pics & part #'s that you have. I'm pretty sure others would appreciate seeing this mod.

I’d be somewhat interested...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk