97 Chevy Steering wheel upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The easiest way to do that would to look up the part number for the upper shaft on the CTSV and do a search to see what other vehicles use that part number. That's what I did..If it's one of the ones I listed earlier chances are it'll be a bolt in. For grins I'm going to research it a bit.

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thought I did that. Seems GM Changed to a 3rd column that the entire shaft assembly is the tilt assemble vs the short shaft these trucks have.

Interested in your findings as you may have more resources available than I do.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I HIGHLY doubt the CTS-v would use a different column shaft than a standard CTS. Here's the part numbers for the CTS for 2006 which uses a 26074286 upper shaft.
http://www.gmpartsnow.com/auto-part...-gas-engine/steering-cat/steering-column-scat

Cross reference that shaft and it fits MANY different vehicles. Here are some here, you'll need to press the "show" button thats beside product and fitments.
http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/products/GMC/SHAFT-Steering-Column/3063990/26074286.html

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what year model CTS-V you'd like so I grabbed the first one that popped up.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now the real question is whether not any of those will fit the models I listed earlier in this thread.. in other words will that shaft end work with the fork end of whats in our pickups column. Pretty good chance that it will, in my opinion.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My shaft came out of a 05 Buick Park Avenue which shows in the crossover list that I just posted the link to, so it should work. To save some dough I would look at the less popular cars on that list and start hunting ebay for either a shaft or an entire column.. I got my entire column for much less than just the shaft sells for.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're right though, I think eventually many gm cars came out with electric power assisted steering which totally changed the columns and steering systems. I have no idea what kind of shafts they use or the splines ect.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a tough one, theres not alot of info out on that wheel and it looks like the shaft is totally different. Could just be a matter of spline size and count however..If the truck you want to do this to is the 88 in your signature your column is different from mine all together.

That wheel would be sweet though.

Last edited:

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Which is kinda what I'm thinking. Size and count is what I need to pull this off.
Chassis of mine is an 88 actual interior/ driveline is a 99 escalade so I have the later column in it already.

I like the wheel for the paddles alone. I found a way to delete the column shift already and make it push button but need to sort the wheel first.