97 4l60 to nv4500 swap ?'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poot

Reaction score
Your input is greatly appreciated. I have a 97 ext cab k1500 with a bad tranny and transfer case. I also have a parts truck (no motor) 96 K3500 std cab long box with a nv4500 I understand the pedal swap and have the flywheel and clutch kit. but i am getting over my head with the with the wiring and computer stuff. the donor truck was a big block, so is the ecm and wiring usable? Or do I need to stop before im in to deep?
Thanks again and hope for some mentoring.

poot

Reaction score
Ok i figured it out on my own. By far the simpalest tranny swap ever. Screw you guys and all your computer flashing bull on all theses forums. Just do it, it works. Sorry if i dont sound to nice. But come to find out beer and 8 man hours (two people so four total) get it done.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think people recommend PCM re-tunes for the sake of making a manual swap "work," it's more for getting rid of the check engine light and countless trouble codes you surely have now that your PCM is trying to control something that isn't there. Also for proper function of gauges and other misc. details. Sure you can make it work quick and dirty, but some people choose to do it right.

poot

Reaction score
no lights codes or screwy stuff. the cruse even works. as long as it thinks its in park, which I did by just leaving the auto control box plugged in and turned to the park possession

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most swap stuff is best left up to beer and sweat haha. People usually don't do it on a normal basis so its hard to remember everything you have to do. Cruise works off the speedo, so that explains why its working. The check engine light must not work? It for sure has solenoid codes. Some people like their stuff perfect so they do the computer swap and flash, some people just want it to work so they just "trick" the computer. Job well done!

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also one check engine light in CA is a fail
No matter the reason

That's why planning for an ecu flash is reccomended

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
Also one check engine light in CA is a fail
No matter the reason

That's why planning for an ecu flash is reccomended