97 454 possible injector issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went through the weak fuel pump hard start ups.on my 1996 350 R vortec.and bad after market crab cap.

Installed a new fuel pump.and dealer cap.all problem,s went away.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just buy a regular fuel pressure gauge. Harbor Freight has one, but it's not the greatest. An autoparts store is probably your best bet. They may have a loaner you can borrow. You have a fuel pressure port right on the fuel rail to connect it.

Why? I already have the edge insight, why not use it to permanently monitor things?

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You got to have the right.constant fuel pressure with these vortec engines.they have the spider set up.if you got a weak pump.you going to have running and cranking issue,s

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put Five O Motorsports yellow top Bosch in my 2000 K2500 over 10 years ago and have had great service out of them.

If you check fuel pressure and it "falls off" check the regulator on the back of the fuel rail by the distributor.

If you do change the injectors, go slow and easy removing the clips that hold them to the fuel rail

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll try to borrow a fuel tester for the time being, I went through this with my 94 tbi350 but different symptoms.

If I want to get some five O injectors what would be best? I plan to do headers and a 0411, maybe a cam later on.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The injector flavor of the day may have changed; call them up and tell them what you've got and see what they recommend. Those yellow top Bosch are what I used as well but same as vr1967 said, it was around 10 years ago.

You must be registered for see images attach

Be sure to replace the regulator too, and use a piece of fuel/vapor rated vacuum line to connect the regulator. If that line goes bad later you have to pull the upper intake to replace it as you really can't reach it otherwise.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck starts great cold.

Shut it off and let it sit and hr and it starts like crap. Barely fires, sounds like it is about to die honestly.
First thing I'd check is the coolant temperature sensor. If it's perpetually reading cold, it'll run fine when it is cold, but suck when the engine is actually warm.