97 2DR from the other side of the world...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blown3UR

Reaction score
Goodday gentleman/ladies,

I have been lurking on here for some time but just recently signed up and would like introduce myself.

I've long had a thing for the OBS 2 doors and though not exactly a GM guy, the Tahoe always had a special place in my heart. 2 years ago, i finally purchased a 99 2-Door with 146K miles, it was my favourite color combo (Pewter/Gray Leather) and obviously the best year to have but the truck had a few issues i didnt want to get into repairing so i sold it... With major regret due to missing the truck so much, the pursuit of finding the ideal Tahoe continued. Finally, i ran into a Red, one owner, 1997; JDM spec, 2 door with 104k kms on the clock, that is a touch over 62K miles.. The truck was immaculate, never been offroad, not a rattle or a single malfunction when i got it... I even thought the front end rubbers would benefit from replacement but i was wrong, they were perfect! The truck is in a truly perfect working order.. As clean as the get.

I decided to tastefully mod it with a mild lift to clear 33s (which also lacks the need to regear, keeping the stock 3.42 LSD G80 package adequate without tearing into the diffs to regear).

Started off with some basics, Rough Country 2-3" Lift with their upgraded shocks (ended up replacing them a week down the road with Bilstein HDs.. They are Horrid; possible the worst shock i have ever come across, Bilsteins are exceptional), 285 width tires on the stock 16" wheels to retain the factory look (about to get replaced with American Racing ATX Mohaves like what Bowtie Freak is running since his truck is basically my benchmark :D), and a full USDM conversion (Reintegrating the reverse lights into the tail lights instead of under the front bumper, and swapping the headlights with the one piece fronts rather than the old 2 piece headlight setup.

After installing the lift, i noticed a very faint vibration, most apparent at low speeds (rush hour speeds if you will). When you speed up to reach 70-75MPH and let of the throttle, you can sense a faint shudder coming from the driveline for a split second, and when you get back onto the throttle, the shutter is felt for a split second and the vibration kicks in again.

I tried aligning, rechecking the diff-drop location, inspecting the D/S, CV boots and angle, all seemed fine so i ignored it.

Come last weekend, i took the truck to the dunes for the first time and wheeled it quite hard (Nothing out of the norm, my landcruiser does this every weekend almost with no issues), but i felt the Tahoe didn't fare too well.

When done, i reinflated the tires and drove back home. I noticed when i take a left turn (roundabout or an exit), i hear a chatter from the front driver side wheel, and i can breifly sense the wheel rocking up and down. The symptoms seemed to be related to an axle issue or a damaged wheel bearing.. Brought the truck back home, tore into the it and inspected everything, all seemed okay. The DS axle was however drenched in oil along with the inner CV boot. I cleaned it all up, installed it back on.

Now the only thing i found peculiar was when i turn the passenger side axle, the diff turns freely and smoothly, when i turn the driver side, it initially turns freely and then all of a sudden gets harder and sometime even starts moving the passenger side axle along in the opposite direction as if 4wd is engaged, and then goes back to turning freely.

I searched long and hard for any of the symptoms i am getting with no luck. This all happened after the lift was installed and i am now all out in the dark. I do not know what needs to be done to solve this but it is getting damn irritating.

My apologies for a super long post, i was just trying to be as detailed as possible. Looking forward to interacting with you'all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Moe

JoeTahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome. I dont have any answers for your issue sadly but your in the right place to getting it resolved. We like pics bud.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When it was looked at you:

1. Verified none of the cv axle joints were broken.

2. Checked for wheel bearing play

3. The oil leak: was that from a axle seal or somethinh else? And how is your front diff fluid and Condition?

Just making sure we get the simple stuff out of the way.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As to the possible driveline vibration I would drive the vehicle hard for a fair amount and then get under there and feel the u joints and see if one has excessive temperature in comparison to the others.

A bad u joint isn't always just loose it can have a dry siezed joint aswell.

Also I forget if the Tahoes have a center support bearing for the drive line or if it's a straight shot from the T-case to the rear diff. If you do make sure it's not worn.

Blown3UR

Reaction score
Thank you for the help and warm welcome guys.. Truly appreciated.

When it was looked at you:

1. Verified none of the cv axle joints were broken.

2. Checked for wheel bearing play

3. The oil leak: was that from a axle seal or somethinh else? And how is your front diff fluid and Condition?

Just making sure we get the simple stuff out of the way.

To answer your questions:-

1. CV axle joints were all perfect.. Not even any evident sign of wear.

2. Checked all 4 wheels.. All are sperfectly solid.. I also visually inspected the driver side bearing to see if i may have missed something.. Seems all okay.

3. The oil leak turned out to be from a tiny hole in the inner driver side, CV boot, i just temporarily sealed it until i get around buying a new one but it seems to have stopped the leak for now.

I also checked the condition of the diff oil (Front, rear, and center).. All seem recently replaced but im thinking about replacing them anyways as cheap insurance.

I need to check the driveline regarding that central support bearing though i'm pretty sure its a straight shot. I will try driving it hard today and checking the u-joints as suggested. I have a gut feeling the DS differencial preload bearing has gone bad.. Its just ironic this issue happened only after installing the lift and was perfect before then.. I thought about removing the lift and going back to stock as a test but its too much of a hassle removing that diff drop up front.

-

Joe,

Pics attached sir. I've included pics of when it was first picked up, a pic with the new headlights and after installing the lift and 33s. I was going about installing the new American Racing Teflon but noticed that i forgot to order the lug nuts to go with it! Now i have to wait another few days until i source those.

Enjoy...

You must be registered for see images attach

This is after i was done wiring the USDM headlights.. I noticed the headlight i had purchased had a broken reflector which is why the HL is removed

The finished product (well somewhat i still need to get the damn wheels installed to sort out the offset without wheel spacers.

Attachments

• IMG_20141208_234307.jpg
    IMG_20141208_234307.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 22

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for the help and warm welcome guys.. Truly appreciated.

To answer your questions:-

1. CV axle joints were all perfect.. Not even any evident sign of wear.

2. Checked all 4 wheels.. All are sperfectly solid.. I also visually inspected the driver side bearing to see if i may have missed something.. Seems all okay.

3. The oil leak turned out to be from a tiny hole in the inner driver side, CV boot, i just temporarily sealed it until i get around buying a new one but it seems to have stopped the leak for now.

I also checked the condition of the diff oil (Front, rear, and center).. All seem recently replaced but im thinking about replacing them anyways as cheap insurance.

I need to check the driveline regarding that central support bearing though i'm pretty sure its a straight shot. I will try driving it hard today and checking the u-joints as suggested. I have a gut feeling the DS differencial preload bearing has gone bad.. Its just ironic this issue happened only after installing the lift and was perfect before then.. I thought about removing the lift and going back to stock as a test but its too much of a hassle removing that diff drop up front.

OK good deal, I figured you had checked it over good.

I know rough country has this, but I believe it's only required on the 5"-6" lift kits so it may or may not apply to the vibration problem.

http://www.roughcountry.com/rear-cv-drive-shaft-gm-5082.html

When everything else is ruled out you might have to drop the front diff and take a look at the bearings. Your probably right.

Also if you can get it on a Lift or all wheels off the ground and put it In gear and run it while someone else listens/watches under the front end while you duplicate the noise it'll help you pinpoint the source.

Very nice vehicle BTW. Are you in the Persian Gulf area?

Blown3UR

Reaction score
Thank you sir.. I have a lift in my shop and could definately have one of the techs assist with putting it on a lift and driving while i check under it... I would emagine though the drivetrain would need to be loaded in order of presenting an issue. Nevertheless, worth a try.

I will also shoot rough country an email inquiring about the D/S.. I thought about that a few times but didnt think about dropping $4XX for something i 'should'nt' require. It clearly states on the forums you would need it when going over 4", apparently up to 6" without autotrac which i dont have... Could be wrong though i'll ask them and see if their answer made sense because they would most likely be wanting to make a sale.

You could say that i'm in the Persian Gulf, i'm in the State of Qatar in the Middle East to be percise.

Thanks alot for your help.

Mo

Blown3UR

Reaction score
Thank you sir.. Here are two more pics of the truck after the wheels were installed.. I'm beginning to consider opening up the front diff and just replace all bearings and recondition the diff. Heck maybe do a 4.56 regear while im at it to raise the lift to 6" and throw on some 35s.

I really wanna get this issue sorted it's driving me nuts.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you sir.. Here are two more pics of the truck after the wheels were installed.. I'm beginning to consider opening up the front diff and just replace all bearings and recondition the diff. Heck maybe do a 4.56 regear while im at it to raise the lift to 6" and throw on some 35s.

I really wanna get this issue sorted it's driving me nuts.

When are you going to drop the front diff? I'm curious to know what you find when you do.

I have the 6" rough country kit sitting in the spare bedroom, I'm waiting on my reallift torsion bar relocaters I ordered then the fun begins. What brand side steps are those you have on?