96k3500 454 Whipple Supercharger build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carnutdallas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great build. Love the truck! I have to say, I like the old wheels better ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a couple more pics from today. I got my dual shocks and black billet grille back on.

You must be registered for see images

New engine pic. Damn these Vortec 454s are just ugly... lol.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Is this the truck that implants (sorry Austin, can't remember your screen name :hidesbehindsofa:) had as his avitar? Looks very similar...

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I love the wheels and I love that the truck is running great again. I found a cut intake coupler between the throttle body and intake that was screwing everything up. Next step is meth injection.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to update this thread. Ok, the smaller gapped spark plugs or slight gash in coupler did NOT end up being the root cause of my problems; that is the misfire/studdering at partial throttle (low RPM, high load). I ended up testing the fuel injectors, the fuel system, a bunch of sensors and I couldn't solve this misfire issue. I was pulling my hair out on this thing.

The culprit ended up being my $200 D.U.I Livewires. I never even suspected them, because they are ultra beefy, they aren't very old and for some reason I thought they were good wires. I swapped the $200 wires for Autozone Duralast $30 wires, and my truck is running like a BEAST now. No misfires and the idle is a lot smoother. I'll ohm the livewires out at some point, but if I teach you all anything, don't ever worry about expensive wires. Get a cheap set and just make sure you route them cleanly. I never should have ruled the plug wires out. It's a good lesson; when you are troubleshooting a complex problem, don't overlook the simple stuff even when it seems improbable. My condition appeared to be getting better whenever I messed with my plugs- it wasn't due to my plugs, it was due to some intermittent condition on the wires.

I also settled on NGK TR6IX iridiums gapped at .035 based on Whipple's suggestion. Truck is running superb now.

Last edited:

gilmorec61

Reaction score
Sweet truck and sweet build. I just recently built a mild 355 for my truck, but that is nothing compared to what you've done. Id LOVE to have the knowledge you have on everything you've done. One day! Great job though!

Flying Skunks

Reaction score
Dale , i know this is an old thread , but where does the oil supply the supercharger ? I have one installed on a 454 in a C3500 i purchased and cant find the supply line .
Thanks
Donnie
D
[email protected]

Flying Skunks

Reaction score
So , the guy i talked to at Whipple obviously didnt even know his product . I downloaded the pdf for it and checked the oil level .are you running a 62 5/8 belt or 63 5/8 ?