'96K1500 Front Brake Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BAD94Z71

Reaction score
Hello guys, is there a factory, bolt on, front brake upgrade available that will allow staying with 15" wheels? Maybe calipers/rotors from a newer year model or a 2500/3500 series? Looking to upgrade but don't want to have to buy new tires and wheels to do it. I've read a ton of posts on here about it but haven't found one that specifically says can use 15" wheels. Thanks for any input.
94 GMC K1500 Z71 here and I can tell you I've been struggling with the crappy brakes for more than 25 years. Power Stop everything and the same problem. I'm going to do a total bleed of the system including the abs and see what happens. As far as the 15" wheels I'm running 84 K5 Blazer rally wheels on my K1500 and love them. Look great and many compliments. Also read that you need to adjust the rear shoes so that their almost touching the drums. I'm also going to do that when I do the bleed. Check with you after.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
94 GMC K1500 Z71 here and I can tell you I've been struggling with the crappy brakes for more than 25 years.
Make sure the caliper pistons aren't sticking. They don't have to be completely seized to not work right. Same deal for the calipers sliding on their guidepins.

As I've said dozens of times, the 254mm (10-inch) Leading/Trailing rear drum brakes are a disaster. They're 90% of the problem with "poor braking" on these vehicles.

And, yes, you'll want to verify the ABS is bled and WORKS. The 4-wheel ABS takes a scan tool and a gallon of fluid to bleed.

Attachments

• 1990s_GM_Light_Truck_Kelsey_Hayes_ABS_Brake_Bleeding_Procedure_Ref_Cards.pdf
    130.2 KB · Views: 26

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my K1500 Suburban I've got the 11" drums OEM. They're one upgrade option for you as noted prior.

I replaced the drum's pistons with the larger ones from the K3500 and the braking improved markedly.

Sum total of my upgrades (most / all of which have been mentioned prior):

- larger rear cylinders (Very Nice improvement)
- SS lines front and rear (marked improvement in the pedal feel)
- 2001 master cylinder (OMG such an improvement; biggest bang for buck)
- K2500 calipers
- I used the best rotors offered by Raybestos; you can pick your vendor, get ones with the greatest mass because much of heat from stopping gets soaked into the front rotors (the rest in the rear drums), and more mass means lower temperatures

My $0.02.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or get the brakes from a 4wd Tahoe/Yukon, they have the same rear brakes as the 9.5 14sf.

So if I'm reading this right a 92 Blazer will have the better rear brakes already?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if I'm reading this right a 92 Blazer will have the better rear brakes already?
I just took a deep dive on RockAuto. I did find the bigger 11” brake shoes listed for a 92 Blazer, but in case I missed it, didn’t see the larger brake drum. So I looked at a 98 K1500 Suburban as @1998_K1500_Sub mentioned. They do list the larger brakes(11”x2.75”) for these. So, is he saying these were factory on a 10 bolt? If so, I don’t understand how the larger backing plate mounts to the 10 bolt. Obviously, there must be a way.
Found this to.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Schurkey has a special love for the smaller rear brakes, he probably has the answer
I wish it was as simple as swapping to the larger backer plate. From what I can see it has a larger inside diameter of a tick over a 1/4”, never mind possibly/probably having a different mounting bolt pattern for backing plate. Hope I’m wrong.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 11.x backing plate for the 8.5 axle isn't the same as the 11.x backing plate used with the 9.5 axle. Each one has the bolt circle needed for the axle it's used with.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 11.x backing plate for the 8.5 axle isn't the same as the 11.x backing plate used with the 9.5 axle. Each one has the bolt circle needed for the axle it's used with.
I tried to look up @1998_K1500_Sub on RockAuto, it show’s a 1500 with the 11x2.75 backing plate, but it’s the regular 14b backing plate. So, I guess they made both versions but only 14b plate is available. @Schurkey is the mounting bolt pattern different? I’m sure we’re I’m going has been questioned before, but I don’t recall seeing it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either the backing plates are different, to fit the 11.x brakes onto the smaller bolt circle of the ten-bolt axle, or the axle is different with a bigger bolt circle on the flange, to match the 14-bolt semi-float axle's backing plates.

Either way, the parts are scarce. I've never seen 'em.