96 Tahoe 2dr Builid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WheelsWY

Reaction score
I purchased my rig last night to begin the build. It's gonna be a long process since it will be as I can afford it. 1996
Tahoe Sport 4x4 w/ 5.7 3.73. Outside is good, no rust and no body damage. Inside needs a bit of TLC. Leather seats are in decent shape but a lot of dinky cosmetic stuff. 5.7 seems strong with 115,*** miles.

Already started the fun with a trip to the yard for a handful of little stuff. Stereo knob, dome light cover, glove box latch, stuff like that.

Gotta decide on how much to lift now and what size tires. Can't wait to get his going!

You must be registered for see images attach

WheelsWY

Reaction score
Got the tires yesterday - 285/70/17 Cooper Discoverer ATP. Gotta get wheels ordered then to lift next week. As of now, I'm going to get 17x8 wheels and just block and crank 2". Hopefully I don't get too much rub.

WheelsWY

Reaction score
Welcome. Nice 2 door! What wheels u buying?

Wheels are ordered, 17x8 Ultra Rogue -

Along with a Curt Cargo rack and extension to hold the spare -

A few other goodies also on order like LEDs for the dash light replacement. Actually ordered enough to do the entire inside. Before I do that, I need to hit my buddy at the yard for a new dash cover piece. The clips are broken off mine where the headlight switch clips into so it sits in there loose.

Oh, also have on order a new fan switch and harness. Winter is coming so heat will be a good thing.

Hoping to have lifted by end of weekend, so I'll get some pictures posted.

WheelsWY

Reaction score
No lift just yet, but the fan is blowing strong and just in time for a snow in WY this morning. Also got the LED's put in at the same time.

WheelsWY

Reaction score
Finally - making some progress.

Before

After

The lift, wheels, and tires are what can be seen. Other changes / fixes that I didn't get pictures of or can't been seen are as follows:

Added Ranch RS5000 series shocks
Replaced Upper Ball Joints
Side windows had 2nd layer of tint peeling very badly so replaced with windows from the yard.

Upcoming projects - I need to add my Curt cargo rack. Then gotta get rid of the gray paint / messed up fender flare. Think I'm going to try and rattle can with bed liner on the flare and see how it goes. Along with that, I also got a new stereo and dash bezel from the yard. The antenna seems to be failing and all looks good to the stereo so I wanted to try that and while I'm in there I'll throw the new dash bezel on.

Mechanically I need to replace the fan clutch. I don't believe the existing one is ever disengaging.