96 suburban 4l60e problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobthemonky

Reaction score
So the other day I was leaving my work when my transmission decided to start messing around on me. I was able to reverse fine but once I started moving forwards the transmission started making a whining/ grinding noise and would not shift out of first. Also now when it is in reverse it will make the same noise as if it was driving forward but not move the truck. also if this helps, shortly before this happened I had noticed that the transmission was taking longer to shift than normal.
so my question is this, does this sound like I may need a new tranny? or is it salvageable?

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
If its more of a grinding I would check the transfer case. Maybe the linkage is misadjusted or if you have push button the motor that changes the transfer case might be going out. I'm guessing you have a 4x4. I've never heard of an auto making a grinding noise.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most common problem with these.... Sunshell stripped out. You lose reverse, 2nd, and OD. Takes a while to shift because it's skipping 2nd going to third. According on the miles, and budget, you can get someone to replace the shell with a hardened one. Most shops will sell you a rebuild here. If money is tight, you could call around and get someone to replace just the shell.

bobthemonky

Reaction score
Alright, so it sounds like the sun shell is messed up. I forgot to mention that the truck will freely roll around as if it were in neutral when in park. I do not think it is the transfer case but i will also check it out as it is a push button.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it rolls in park, the planet is not holding and is shot. That's gonna take a full rebuild. The park n paul holds against the rear planet gear.