96 k1500 gas or diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So... I should look to 4bt? I just assumed the 6.2 or 6.5 had to be semi reliable since they were in military vehicles. Also appears to be an easier swap. The 4bt is crazy expensive now. $4000 and it needs rebuilt. Any other diesel options? Was thinking all this because the price of the spider injection is approaching price of vortec 350.
the 6.5 that they STILL use in the humvees is absolute garbage under powered, unreliable, and a pain in the ass to work on. They would overheat and crack the heads over #8 or #7 when the humvees were 5200lbs before all the armor. And they only make 150-190ish hp. If it was me and i wanted a weird diesel swap id do a Detroit 4t53 or something like that.

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's a LOT of 6.2/5 hate on this website. My vote is for a 6.2. My n/a 6.2 is very consistently pulling 17 MPG in town with a bunch of warm-up time and a slight fuel leak I've been battling. it usually pulls 18-19 in town. plus it will bolt right into your truck. IMO you could probably sell the 4l60e\5.0 in your truck to more than cover the cost of a 6.2\700r4. Electronics wouldn't be too bad at all. I suggest visiting dieselplace.com if you have any more 6.2/5 related questions.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love my 6.5's but if all I was wanting was power and light towing a 383 would be just fine.

I like mpg, torque, and clatter. I'm not a cummins fan, and I like the gmt400 trucks. The 6.5 does pretty well for me.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I have the money and time, and my 350 ever gives up, my plan is to swap a 4bt and nv4500 in my 1500. There's alot of good info on 4btswap.com. not just for 4bts either. Lotta different swap threads. I've had mixed results with gm diesels. More bad than good though. My impression is that they make good "commuter" motors. If you're a guy that spends a lot of time unloaded on the hwy you can get decent mileage and reliability. If you want to tow alot and not do alot of maintenance (typically why you buy a diesel), then it's not the motor for you.

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 6.5L with bigger turbo, intercooler, and an S&B intake. I came from a 350 TBI suburban with headers, hi flow cat and flow master exhaust. I would not go back to a gas engine at all. My buddy has a 99 454 dually and it does not out pull my 6.5 in anyway. He stops twice to fill up when we go camping for my one. We both have 9000 lb toy haulers. My 6.5L has 185,000 miles on it now and has been really reliable other than a few bad aftermarket lift pumps. Stock lift pump lasted 130,000 and I've gone through 3 Walbros in the last 55,000. My son has a 83 K5 6.2L that had a turbo put on it at the dealer in 83. Has been reliable as well. Always starts even when its in the teens outside. Unless I've got the 2 unicorn GM diesels, they have good power, good mileage, and have been really reliable. We had a 350 tbi blazer and he would tow our 10' utility trailer with 2 quads in it. It would downshift on the smallest hills. The diesel blazer stays in OD and gets 4-5 mpg better than the gas blazer did. I vote diesel.

williscr3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i did hear the over heating issues with the 6.5 but also assume the guys driving them are beating the snot out of them. Detroit 4t53 isnt that the 2 cycle diesel? not really looking for something weird just common and reliable, easily sourced parts and simple to work on.

your right a 6.2/700r4 would be a decent swap, the 700r4 could be improved and maybe turbo the 6.2. maybe the 6.2 if i cant find a 6.5.

honestly the truck is a daily driver, to and from work or maybe to the store for some lumber or mulch, weekends i haul around my kids qaud and dirtbike. i dont plant to tow 10,000lbs with it, but it will be mainly unloaded.

i would love to do 4bt but its just to expensive now.

1999gmc im thinking your right. better even for my light towing. i may end up hauling my dirtbikes and quads decent distances or a boat. im really leaning towards the 6.5. im going to start looking for a 6.5 or 6.2/700r4. looks like ill be visiting dieselplace.com

tanman_2006 looks like you have had a few of these motors. experience is what i was looking for. any comments on 6.2 vs 6.5? seems like the guys that have them love them. the guys that never tried these diesels hate them because they heard something bad about them.

all good info thanks.

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
will, thats exactly right. I will say I'm pretty much maxed out on the power I can get out of mine, where a newer truck you can throw a tuner in and have tons of power. My buddy has a 7.3L powerstroke that hes's done some stuff to and my 6.5L pulls right with him. He does a bigger turbo and injectors, HPOP and he'll pull a lot better than mine. But a set of injectors for my truck are $4-$500 and thats 2 on a 7.3L. Hell 1 on a newer diesel. The fuel mileage is what I like about them. Ted's trucks and stuff sell low mileage military take outs that are the optimizer engine. Also check out www.thetruckstop.us for info on the 6.5L Some guys got irritated with dieselplace.com and have left there, some by choice, some forced. But they have some good knowledge as well.

I see your in Pa. I'm originally from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area. In Northern California now. I'm taking a F250 bed back for my Uncle in June. Everything there is rotted out and I found take-off from a 06 thats like brand new.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you go 6.2 I would put a manual transmission in it. Had an 83 dually that went to 300k with lots of abuse and no engine trouble. Only got rid of it because it was composed mostly of rust. Would start right up in any temps. Was by far the most gutless thing I've ever driven but got decent mileage.
Had another half ton 2wd with a 6.2 and 700r4 and it was the biggest piece of **** in the world. Went to the scrap yard at 100k . Huge money pit. Got like 20 mpg was it's only saving grace.

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take care of your engine and it will last. Yes that even means 6.2 and 6.5. It would be totally fine if you were to swap one in and leave it stock. I liked my 6.2 in my 1982 K2500. You would either be able to use a trans controller or swap to manual. Regular maintenance will keep it running fine. Specifically if you find a low mileage one to swap in. Go for a J code for the extra horse. And my 82 with a TH400 and 2.56 gears got over 25 mpg crusing on the highway. If you baby it and add some overdrive with 3.73 or so you would not be complaining about the mileage. It will beat any vortec engine for that.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have 256,000 on my plastic distributor, I don't see what the big deal is with them. I know the ears break but there's a fix for that. My vote is 383, the 6.5 is too prone to blowing up. For every 6.5 success story there are 100 failure stories. I was on the fence over a 6.5 myself and eventually decided against it. I wanted to make it work, but seemed like too much of a gamble.