96 k1500 engine issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cflinch

Reaction score
I have a 96 chevy k1500 with a 305 engine with 180k on it, and manual transmission. The truck was losing power and eventually simply wouldn't turn over. Went through the entire fuel system and couldn't figure out the issue, but it hydra locked on me after changing the pressure regulator. Ended up taking it to a shop my buddy recommended. Cleaned out the engine and unlocked it, but said the main issue was the spider injectors. To buy the replacement part, and have it put in (don't have the proper tools with me at school to do it myself) it seems like it'll run me right around $700. They warned though that after being hydra locked they could do all this and the engine could start knocking on me the next day. My question is, am I better off to just replace the entire engine and cut my losses or should I just have them replace the injectors and pray that the engine doesn't start knocking? Appreciate any input on this issue!

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
this makes no sense to me that the spider/ fuel pressure regulator has anything to do with hydrolocking a motor.....

in short, Motors probably done.... depending on how it Hydrolocked..

did anyone drop the oil pan to see anything like bent rods or crankshaft is wrecked?

Last edited:

cflinch

Reaction score
this makes no sense to me that the spider/ fuel pressure regulator has anything to do with hydrolocking a motor.....

in short, Motors probably done.... depending on how it Hydrolocked..

did anyone drop the oil pan to see anything like bent rods or crankshaft is wrecked?
I believe the pressure regulator wasn't put on tight and backed out some when I tried to crank it, spilling gas into the cylinder, which caused it to lock up. But they cleaned it out and it is unlocked but still won't turn over.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe the pressure regulator wasn't put on tight and backed out some when I tried to crank it, spilling gas into the cylinder, which caused it to lock up. But they cleaned it out and it is unlocked but still won't turn over.
If you were all of the way to the regulator then all you had to do was remove one bolt and slide the injectors out of their holes.

cflinch

Reaction score
If you were all of the way to the regulator then all you had to do was remove one bolt and slide the injectors out of their holes.
Really just starting to seriously work on my own engines. Had a very reliable truck that didn't have any serious issues that I never had to really work on. I lIke working on my own stuff though, this was just over my head a little. Also, didn't know it was the injectors till I put it back together and it still didn't turn over.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To buy the replacement part, and have it put in (don't have the proper tools with me at school to do it myself) it seems like it'll run me right around $700.
This is why I said what I did. If you buy a replacement spider it comes with the regulator and you don't need any additional tools.

V_Kint

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently spent a good deal of time working out fuel delivery issues with my truck. Before you make any more moves have the fuel pressure checked. The symptoms in your original post sound to me like slowly deteriorating fuel pressure.

cflinch

Reaction score
I recently spent a good deal of time working out fuel delivery issues with my truck. Before you make any more moves have the fuel pressure checked. The symptoms in your original post sound to me like slowly deteriorating fuel pressure.
That was my original thought as well, I checked and it was only slightly low (52) which led me to change the pressure regulator.

V_Kint

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my original thought as well, I checked and it was only slightly low (52) which led me to change the pressure regulator.
I've read several places that anything below 60 can cause issues. Is that bad info?