96 GMC sierra p0172 and P0300 and flashing ses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
However my $20 BAFX worked fine on ol 97 when I had misfires and TCC lockup issues.
Reminds me of my '97 K2500. Bought it between Christmas and New Years, just over two years ago. Ran like crap. No lockup. Enormous misfire count on #8.

Had multiple other problems as well, but the misfires and the bum torque converter were my real concerns.

Got it home. Decided to compression-test #8 to see if the engine had to come apart. Loosened the spark plug with the socket and ratchet, then reached down to twist it out by hand. The moment I felt the plug, I knew it had a cracked porcelain. Compression test came out OK, I poked a used spark plug I stole out of a spare engine (correct heat range and reach), and the misfire was gone. Torque converter clutch worked, too--because the Computer disables the TCC when it detects misfire.

One spark plug fixed the misfire AND the torque converter clutch. That was a good day!