96-98 Vortec Alternator Upgrade AD244

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread and no one answered them so I will ask again.

What is the advantage to putting a AD244 145A alternator in our trucks instead of just getting the proper replacement alternator but in the 140A version?

stock Duralast replacement for a 98 is part number DLG1468-16-4 . It is listed as being 140A and a direct bolt in. Im just looking to an answer to the need for the AD244 style. Is it a better alternator?

Last edited:

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
So what was the jist of an AD244 upgrade on a TBI motor? Yay/nay, drill out a mount hole larger? Mount spacing the same?

I have not done the swap yet but have been exploring options to mount it. I do not like the idea of making the mounting hole larger because i would prefer an oem look and think there needs to be more support for the alternator on the left side besides the one tab. Through experimentation at the junkyard, i discovered the ac compressor bracket on the vortec motors will replace the alternator bracket on the tbi motors with longer mounting bolts and stud. This provides the option to make a custom bracket that bolts in place of the vortec ac compressor and holds the new high output alternator in the original tbi location. Plus the vortec compressor bracket looks stronger than the tbi alternator bracket.

Did GM change the plug on the alternators from 96-99? Some have said that this was a plug and play while others say it wasnt. I have a 98 which has a the white oval plug with one brown wire.

I just found out that the AD244 will have the correct plug for my model year. FWIW, the AcDelco part number for the 145A upgraded alt is ACDelco 321-2128

I looked for th ad244 alternators at the auto store and it came in a 2 or 4 pin connector, maybe that was the issue.

Last edited:

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread and no one answered them so I will ask again.

What is the advantage to putting a AD244 145A alternator in our trucks instead of just getting the proper replacement alternator but in the 140A version?

stock Duralast replacement for a 98 is part number DLG1468-16-4 . It is listed as being 140A and a direct bolt in. Im just looking to an answer to the need for the AD244 style. Is it a better alternator?

Yes, the AD244 alternator is a better design in many ways, it runs cooler, has a better designed rectifier that stays cooler and has stronger rectifier components so the alt lasts much longer. Factory CS alts have a problem in the rectifier design, and that is the weak point in those alts.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Also make note, that if your engine is a lower rpm version of the engine the new alt is designed for, you'll need to swap pulleys to your engine's factory alt's size(swap factory alt's pulley onto new alt).....also, alot of LS alts in general have bigger diameter pulleys, so they won't charge as well at idle until the pulleys are swapped.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I did the AD244 upgrade yesterday in my 98. Few things,
First, alternator is a little tight and the coolant line needs to be moved and possibly modified so it doesn't rub on the alternator.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Second, the stock belt does fit but I think it's too tight. I ordered the Goodyear gator belt that was suggested in the first couple pages here and it does NOT fit. It is the same length as my used OEM belt. I cannot stretch it at all to slip it under the idler pulley. This is what my new tensioner looks like with the old belt.I am going to try belt part number 975k6

Last edited:

CSX55

Reaction score
Question - have a '99 2-door Tahoe with factory 100A (K60) alternator. Need a new battery and was hoping to upgrade the alternator and wiring while I was at it, and the AD244 seems like the way to go.

My question is, most people with 96-98s seem to have to swap out the 4-pin connector from the square version to the rounded version to be compatible with the AD alternator. My '99 has the rounded 4-pin connector from the factory, but only has one wire going to it, pictured below. Will I have any issues with installing the AD244 with my factory 1-wire setup? My understanding was that only the 05+ NBS trucks had a 1-wire alternator.

EDIT: Just noticed that on the last page, someone asked the same question and posted pictures of a harness identical to mine with one brown wire, so just wanted to make 100% sure that the single wire with rounded 4-pin connector would work properly with the AD244 - I've seen other posts mention a sense wire and other wires that may be necessary for it to charge properly.

Last edited: