'96 5.7 won't start after intake gasket replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Howdy gents,

First post - hopefully someone can give me some insight. So I recently replaced my intake manifold gaskets. Bought a nice set with upper and lower gaskets, fuel line o rings, injector tower gaskets, etc. I marked the distributor before I pulled it out and put it back in the same way but it wouldn't start. Really struggled to crank and I kept getting codes for Crank position sensor and Cam position sensor. So I decided to start from the beginning - take #1 cylinder to TDC, etc etc. so I had the distributor all reset. At the time, it would crank and fire up easy, but ran rough and Timing Advance was 22°. I couldnt understand why it wasn't in time if I installed it like it was a new distributor with the white mark and the dimple ligned up and the oil pump lined up. So then I replaced my crankshaft and campshaft position sensors. After that, the codes went away, but NOW I'm getting a code that says crankshaft/campshaft position correlation (which I have come to understand is a timing issue.) Great! Now its more narrowed down, except now it only cranks, it won't even run. Is there something I'm missing or have done wrong?? Any help is greatly appreciated, I just want my daily beauty back. Thank you!

Brian Craig

Reaction score
Howdy gents,

First post - hopefully someone can give me some insight. So I recently replaced my intake manifold gaskets. Bought a nice set with upper and lower gaskets, fuel line o rings, injector tower gaskets, etc. I marked the distributor before I pulled it out and put it back in the same way but it wouldn't start. Really struggled to crank and I kept getting codes for Crank position sensor and Cam position sensor. So I decided to start from the beginning - take #1 cylinder to TDC, etc etc. so I had the distributor all reset. At the time, it would crank and fire up easy, but ran rough and Timing Advance was 22°. I couldnt understand why it wasn't in time if I installed it like it was a new distributor with the white mark and the dimple ligned up and the oil pump lined up. So then I replaced my crankshaft and campshaft position sensors. After that, the codes went away, but NOW I'm getting a code that says crankshaft/campshaft position correlation (which I have come to understand is a timing issue.) Great! Now its more narrowed down, except now it only cranks, it won't even run. Is there something I'm missing or have done wrong?? Any help is greatly appreciated, I just want my daily beauty back. Thank you!

I just rebuilt my 350 an can't get mine to start either, any input about this would be great

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I think what you guys are having is ''Camshaft Retard Offset'' issues.If you don't get the distributor back in exactly as it came out there will be a problem.I have to replace the distributor in wifey's Burb and have been putting off because of this.A scanner like one Snap On makes is necessary to read the offset,which I don't have :(

Alldatadiy.com has a nice instructional page for this.