95+ Steering shaft rag joint elimination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GulfCoastGM

Reaction score
Good morning guys, I realize this is my first post here but I have done fairly extensive research on this topic and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice.

First off, I have a 1995 Tahoe 4x4. I recently replaced the rag joint with a Dorman part (had to drill out rivets and use bolts) and was disappointed with the results. Also, all of my other steering components appear to be in decent shape, so i think the slack is still in the rag joint.

I understand that on 95 and up steering columns, there is a tulip joint on the cab side of the firewall so the Jeep intermediate steering shaft mod will not work due to the addition of a third joint. This also means that the Borgeson steering shaft will not work.

My research has lead me to another option, which is to remove the rag joint entirely from the factory intermediate shaft and install a Flaming River U-joint. I have seen this mod done on s10 forums (see link below) but I want to make sure that this will work for my full size.

http://www.gmtruckhq.com/general-suspension/how-flaming-river-u-joint-steering-mod-2802.html

The lower half of the steering shaft looks identical to mine but the upper portion seems different...will this matter?

Thanks for reading this!

GulfCoastGM

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Chevydriver. I have seen that link, but I honestly think that the stated year range is incorrect. Mine and all of the other 95's I have seen have the newer style steering column and there is no joint to remove on the outside of the firewall.

This is not my truck, but you can see where the steering shaft meets the firewall in the photo. This is what mine looks like...
You must be registered for see images attach

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
This is what mine looks like on a 95 yukon
You must be registered for see images attach

GulfCoastGM

Reaction score
Yeah, that's how mine looks too. I'm guessing that if I just add the Flaming River ujoint at the steering box I'll be OK, but I don't see the jeep shaft working without having too much play (3 joints).

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
I believe its the same as what everybody is swappin out with the xj shaft

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta be a hoe thing then cause there are a few people with.96 trucks that have done the mod

Sent from somewhere in MN

Chevy40972

Reaction score
I have a 95 with the third joint. Blob joint inside firewall or not there. Will one of these shafts still work.