95 k1500 305 to 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gisbradokla

Reaction score
i am in the middle of doing the same to my 95 short step side single cab.
I went the lt1 route. Not a fan of the cost for LS.
I used a 95 Y body (corvette) donor.
so far so good. I don’t have it running yet but it is installed. I am fabbing the systems now. Fuel, cooling, wiring. Will delete ABS when I get the cooling system finished

jpg856

Reaction score
Maybe truck had like some 3.08 gears originally? Who knows what the "equivalent" ratio is now with them big 'ol tires?!
Truck has 3:73s on the 35s and it barely makes enough power to get over hills I know regearing it would be cheaper but I don’t want to cruise down the highway at crazy high rpms

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Truck has 3:73s on the 35s and it barely makes enough power to get over hills I know regearing it would be cheaper but I don’t want to cruise down the highway at crazy high rpms

Define crazy.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
(NTD ÷OTD)×OGR=NGR
New tire diameter ÷ Old Tire Diameter
× Old Gear Ratio
=New Gear Ratio

245's?
(35÷30)×3.73=4.35

So 4:10 for highway, or 4.56 for towing/off the line accel.

If it were mine, 4.56's. Dont fear the gear.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tires are not the issue, my 95 has 33's. You have the same rear diff gearing as mine 3.73. The aged 305 just doesn't have the beans anymore. Changing rear gears won't get more power. Just use more fuel less mpg. Get a slightly used 350 or better if your keep it long term, punch that block to 383 and vortec style heads then you'll have the horse power and torque. I have a 383 in a box for 95 if it ever dies or the 93 whichever goes T.U. first.

jpg856

Reaction score
so I've been looking at crate motors also but I've been trying to find a 305 one and i can't seem to find any so if anyone would know where to look it'd be appreciated cause i was reading ab doing a 350 swap more and i read it might be hard to find a pcm for it because the truck is a 5 speed like i said the truck is my first chevy so i don't really know ab them to much yet

Last edited: