95-98 How to remove cigarette lighter dash piece?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a project that I'm thinking about doing but I need to be able to remove one of the cigarette lighters that are behind the little doors in the newer style dashes. Any pointers about how to get access to the behind of the cigarette lighters? I'm hoping that I don't have to remove too much of the dash to get it done.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Actually, the 95 uses single fold-down accessory assembly, whereas 96+ uses fixed position assembly with twin doors. But back to the point, the cig lighter assembly itself uses a 2-piece design and when you reach behind it, there is a grooved sleeve with threads that screws onto the part of plug-in you see from the outside. You should first unplug your cig lighter, or pull the cig lighter fuse before unscrewing or working around it, or it can pop your fuse if the contacts accidentally short. After the sleeve is unscrewed, the part you see from the outside will slide out of the hole it's in.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also there are 4 small plastic clip's that are similar to plastic push pins that hold the whole assembly on, first use a small screwdriver to pop out the center's then the whole assembly will drop down.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't know if my project is going to go through but now I should at least know how to get that off if it does. You'll all know if I do get my project done.

Daddie2k3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both of my cigarette lighters behind the doors stop working do anybody know if it would be an unknown fuse but I have tried to removed them and I couldn't...

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both of my cigarette lighters behind the doors stop working do anybody know if it would be an unknown fuse but I have tried to removed them and I couldn't...

Just like that for 96+

Also there are 4 small plastic clip's that are similar to plastic push pins that hold the whole assembly on, first use a small screwdriver to pop out the center's then the whole assembly will drop down.

Daddie2k3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I need to checked before replacing them because I check the regular lighter fuse

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the others just to be sure. I don't remember which one is for those two off the top of my head. It is different than the cig lighter fuse though if I remember right

Daddie2k3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I thought but thanks for all your help because I hate to replace two lighters when I need to still replace a fuse lol