95-98 Dash To 88 Dash Swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Seems like a lot of work, so I’ll probably just end up keeping the 96 dash. I saw this clean truck on Instagram and I liked what was done to the interior, I’ll probably do something similar. Billet parts to make it look more old school, maybe that section of the dash color matched?
You must be registered for see images attach
I want a clean and old school looking interior (ideally 88-94) but something like this would do, and it would be cheaper and easier

Last edited:

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Th
Ok thanks. Seems like a lot of work, so I’ll probably just end up keeping the 96 dash. I saw this clean truck on Instagram and I liked what was done to the interior, I’ll probably do something similar. Billet parts to make it look more old school, maybe that section of the dash color matched?
I want a clean and old school looking interior (ideally 88-94) but something like this would do, and it would be cheaper and easier
at has LG Billet USA accessories on the inside. Looks nice. I like mine.

EastAZfab

Reaction score
I'm in the midst of this exact project right now :D

Hope you're good with wiring, drilling out spot-welds, and have a lot of time.

You'll need:

The dash body: LMC sells them for $400+ shipping. You'll have to get most of the dash components from salvage yards.

The steering column AND intermediate shaft. You will need to drill the four holes for the column lower mounting into your truck's firewall. The good news is, the firewall itself doesn't need to be bent into shape, but you will need to cut a slot for the auto shifter linkage if you have an auto. The steering gearbox does NOT need to be altered.

The steering column SUPPORT. This is what the upper part of the column AND the dash attaches to. The 95+ column supports do not work, ask me how I know lol. This is where drilling out spot welds comes into play: there are four at the top of this bracket under the windshield, two above the brake pedal, and two between the upper and lower brake booster bolts.

Pic of my swapped-in column support for reference:

I recommend you pull one from a 94 truck, as the brake pedal mounting is the same on them as the 95+. 88-93 I cannot guarantee are the same, as the brake switches are definitely different in those.

You'll also need the A-pillar trim for both sides, unless you modify your existing ones to fit the old dash.

Your existing door panels will work (as in, they won't mess up the dash) until you can find old ones, but fair warning you'll be looking a while for those. And unless you modify the door pin switches for the dome lights, I'd recommend leaving them unplugged because the older dash switches don't contact the newer door panels.

The rest is mainly wiring.

Pull a complete HVAC system harness from a late 93 to 94 truck. These should be 4-speed units - 88- early 93 were all 3-speed. Unless you're really going for that all-88 look in which case you'll have the blacked-out controller that only ran 3 speeds, and you'll need a wiring harness from an 88-90 to match that. Note on these, NO RECIRCULATION DOOR CONTROL until the 92+ controller. So you'll want to figure something out for that. You will need the mode door actuators too, the newer ones are NOT compatible with the old controls.

Oh and Idk how you'll go about wiring up the VSS for the old 88 Moonie cluster, as those have the VSS buffer built-in... Meaning the sensor on the transmission ran directly to the cluster. And if you have an automatic trans, that adds another set of linkages and such you'll have to swap in so the column shifter will work as designed.

It's a mess, lol. But it's doable :D

Also uh... If you have a 98-99, you're going to need to bypass the PassKey system, and the EVO steering from 97-99... And I really hope you don't have the electric-shift 4x4, because there really is no old version option for that.
Getting ready to swap in a ‘96 vortec into my ‘94 gmt400. Would it be possible to make the ‘96 dash harness run my ‘94 dash? I really wanna keep the look I already got. Any pointers would be appreciated

JuniorI

Reaction score
I'm in the midst of this exact project right now :D

Hope you're good with wiring, drilling out spot-welds, and have a lot of time.

You'll need:

The dash body: LMC sells them for $400+ shipping. You'll have to get most of the dash components from salvage yards.

The steering column AND intermediate shaft. You will need to drill the four holes for the column lower mounting into your truck's firewall. The good news is, the firewall itself doesn't need to be bent into shape, but you will need to cut a slot for the auto shifter linkage if you have an auto. The steering gearbox does NOT need to be altered.

The steering column SUPPORT. This is what the upper part of the column AND the dash attaches to. The 95+ column supports do not work, ask me how I know lol. This is where drilling out spot welds comes into play: there are four at the top of this bracket under the windshield, two above the brake pedal, and two between the upper and lower brake booster bolts.

Pic of my swapped-in column support for reference:

I recommend you pull one from a 94 truck, as the brake pedal mounting is the same on them as the 95+. 88-93 I cannot guarantee are the same, as the brake switches are definitely different in those.

You'll also need the A-pillar trim for both sides, unless you modify your existing ones to fit the old dash.

Your existing door panels will work (as in, they won't mess up the dash) until you can find old ones, but fair warning you'll be looking a while for those. And unless you modify the door pin switches for the dome lights, I'd recommend leaving them unplugged because the older dash switches don't contact the newer door panels.

The rest is mainly wiring.

Pull a complete HVAC system harness from a late 93 to 94 truck. These should be 4-speed units - 88- early 93 were all 3-speed. Unless you're really going for that all-88 look in which case you'll have the blacked-out controller that only ran 3 speeds, and you'll need a wiring harness from an 88-90 to match that. Note on these, NO RECIRCULATION DOOR CONTROL until the 92+ controller. So you'll want to figure something out for that. You will need the mode door actuators too, the newer ones are NOT compatible with the old controls.

Oh and Idk how you'll go about wiring up the VSS for the old 88 Moonie cluster, as those have the VSS buffer built-in... Meaning the sensor on the transmission ran directly to the cluster. And if you have an automatic trans, that adds another set of linkages and such you'll have to swap in so the column shifter will work as designed.

It's a mess, lol. But it's doable :D

Also uh... If you have a 98-99, you're going to need to bypass the PassKey system, and the EVO steering from 97-99... And I really hope you don't have the electric-shift 4x4, because there really is no old version option for that.
what did you do on the whole dash harness? did you use the harness from the newer style dash? or did you swap the harness too?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
what did you do on the whole dash harness? did you use the harness from the newer style dash? or did you swap the harness too?
I built my own completely custom harness, rewired the entire truck repinning connectors using all new terminals I got from Mouser.