'95 350 TBI cold weather questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Just wanted to throw this out there, the gauge sender JCribb listed, while the correct part, may not work correctly with the gauge. The gauge may read very very low with this sensor. Hopefully the supply chain has been corrected by now but as of a couple years ago the sensor, while it is indeed the "authentic GM part", did not provide the correct values for the gauge to work properly.

I am of the same opinion on sensors and changed both the ECT and the gauge sender at the same time, using genuine AC delco "Original Equipment" parts. In my case, I found that the gauge reading was very low with the new sensor, like truck fully warmed the gauge would be at 9 o'clock. After reading up on the issue I found a lot of people had the same problem and said in this case the aftermarket part worked better.

I ended up just putting the 24 year old sensor back in. I think I need to revisit this now. I hate relying on old sensors to tell me what my car is doing.

TLDR; if you change out the head sensor and the gauge reads low, it's a problem with the new design of the sensor. Get a sensor from a different supplier other than AC-Delco.

I won't disagree with this, because my factory cluster (94) reads barely above 100 when the stock 195* thermostat opens, so there's definitely a lot of play with the gauge, my suggestion is to run an aftermarket temperature gauge along with the OEM one, as that is what I do with mine.

I used aftermarket sensors in both locations, and the gauge one never read at all, and the ECM one made my engine run rich, so I guess that one is luck of the draw? Mine were from Autozone, I did not try any other stores for their house brand.

For what its worth, I don't give the factory cluster any hope when it comes to readings, the technology in those days was sub-par at best compared to today's standards.

Old Blue

Reaction score
If they're available where you're at, I would recommend SMP (Standard Motor Products) sensors, solenoids, and switches. They're as close to OEM as you can get. The place I work is a SMP retailer, and I've never had a SMP part returned because of failure.

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replacing a sensor for your instrument cluster isnt going to fire your truck up faster, lol, no wonder parts stores make so much money

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Replacing a sensor for your instrument cluster isnt going to fire your truck up faster, lol, no wonder parts stores make so much money

Where in the scope of reality does this even make sense? No one ever said replacing a sensor for the dash gauge would make the truck start faster.

I know I stated that both sensors should be replaced in pairs. The only sensor that has the most control over anything is the one on the intake which is the ECM sensor this controls how the computer makes the adjustments.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Where in the scope of reality does this even make sense? No one ever said replacing a sensor for the dash gauge would make the truck start faster.

I know I stated that both sensors should be replaced in pairs. The only sensor that has the most control over anything is the one on the intake which is the ECM sensor this controls how the computer makes the adjustments.

Replacing in pairs makes no sense. A scanner will help you verify if the coolant temp sensor is working properly. My 88 started hard below 10 degrees as well, took about 10-25 seconds for it to catch its breath and it would hesitate in tip in until it warmed up a little.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Well I don’t have a scanner, so it’s hard to tell how or what the engine is doing by ear.

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take it out and test it before buying a new one. Or buy a 70 dollar bluetooth scanner from ebay, start it up and watch the temp rise while the trucks running.
Who knows, while watching the scanner you might find that your truck is running extremely lean and you had no idea.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just got a deal on a moates ALDL cable on ebay, looking forward to less guesswork in the future.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well I don’t have a scanner, so it’s hard to tell how or what the engine is doing by ear.

It's the ony way to know for sure. You may blow good money on a new sensor that's junk out of the box to replace an old sensor that was perfectly fine.