95 1500 Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hutch191

Reaction score
Alright so I have a 95 1500 2WD. I need to replace my cat and I figured I would just put long tubes on it and run 3" duals with super 40 Flowmaster's and no cats. My question is how would I run the O2 Sensor? Can I run it on one side if I have duals, or does it need to be tied into both sides? Any suggestions? I want a loud deep sounding exhaust. Thanks for looking.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
My 94 has one sensor on the driver side exhaust manifold. When I got my shorties it had just one bung for the driver side. I am pretty sure it is a dummy sensor anyway. I forgot to put it in when I started it up and it was loud as hell and didn't throw any codes or run real rich.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I'm going to assume that you live in a state that doesn't require vehicle inspections. If you do, don't pull the cat. It's a Federal requirement, not state, which means that it's required in the U.S. Technically, you can get a ticket for it, no matter what state you're in, but if they don't inspect, they'll probably never know.

As for your other question, I believe that the O2 sensor just stays on the one manifold, even with dual exhaust. The routing of the exhaust after the headers doesn't really have an impact on the air/fuel ratio of the engine (that I know of, at least).

Also, why go with long tubes? I'm looking into getting a set of Tri-Y's, and everything I've seen recommends them as the best headers for overall performance. Doug Thorley sells them for about $650, which is steep, but they're ceramic coated and really high quality. Just thought I'd ask and throw that out there. Plus, they also have the bung for the O2 sensor, so you don't have to mess with it.

Lastly, what made you decide on 3" tubing? Unless your engine is modified and needs the additional airflow, 2.5" exhaust is plenty for running dual exhaust. Single exhaust - sure, run 3", but since you have two pipes, 2.5" is enough. Going too big can affect backpressure and scavenging.

http://www.magnaflow.com/wideopen/performdata.asp

Take a look at the chart on the bottom of this page.