94 Suburban rear vents issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The heat works great up front but when I turn on the rear those vents blow cold. I'm not sure what to try, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
The rear of a suburban has an entire HVAC system of it's own,it uses the A/C compressor and water pump from the engine though.Climb under your burb from the passenger side and you will see the tubes supplying the rear system.

I've often thought about tearing apart the rear interior panels to do some cleaning on the system but then I see what all has to come apart and shrug my shoulders and move on to something else.It was taken apart by our local dealer ten years ago to replace the expansion valve so I know it has been cleaned at some time.It all resides behind the right rear interior panels.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rear of a suburban has an entire HVAC system of it's own,it uses the A/C compressor and water pump from the engine though.Climb under your burb from the passenger side and you will see the tubes supplying the rear system.

I've often thought about tearing apart the rear interior panels to do some cleaning on the system but then I see what all has to come apart and shrug my shoulders and move on to something else.It was taken apart by our local dealer ten years ago to replace the expansion valve so I know it has been cleaned at some time.It all resides behind the right rear interior panels.

Thanks!

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Wanna see what it looks like? BTW,some burbs didn't have rear heat.

You must be registered for see images attach

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Mine is basically fully loaded, I'm the second owner and I know the original owner, I'll ask him if it had rear heat just to be sure, but I'm pretty sure it did. I wouldn't be too worried about it if it weren't for the fact that the rear carpet is wet and I can't find a leak around the barn doors or windows. Is there a way to shut off the flow of coolant to that core as a short term band-aid?

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The knob for the rear control specifically states "Rear A/C Control", would that be indicative of it not having heat back there? If not, is there a good way to find out short of opening up that panel?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The knob for the rear control specifically states "Rear A/C Control", would that be indicative of it not having heat back there? If not, is there a good way to find out short of opening up that panel?

Pretty sure that would be an indicator. My '97 Suburban has rear heat and A/C, and it has a panel that looks pretty much just like the one in the front. Little blend knob for hot/cold and everything.