94 2wd engine swap: LQ9 or LS3? Need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stockedup94

Reaction score
the skinny: swapping this 4.3 for something that will bring 400+ hsp. Was initially going to just do a LS3 crate motor full swap (not cheap) and have heard aluminum engines have potential overheating. This prompted me to to look at LQ9 and something more durable. Only downside is its GEN 3 and not sure it would have the power but could prob save half by finding one and rebuilding. I have a good engine mechanic, just confused at what would be a better fit for this truck. Can a single can 2wd handle LQ9? does in fact the LS3 overheat when being pushed? Thanks in advance fellas!

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can easily get 400 from a Gen III 5.3.

No downside to Gen III either, I would prefer it because you don't have the lifters of doom if you are leaving it stock.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An aluminum engine is much less likely to overheat since it dissapates heat much better than iron.

The problem is, if it does overheat, it will be more likely to warp and deform.

An ls3 would keep the front of the truck lighter, a bonus if you like to go around corners quickly.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can easily get 400 from a Gen III 5.3.

No downside to Gen III either, I would prefer it because you don't have the lifters of doom if you are leaving it stock.

4th gen rods are a bit stronger than 3rd gen. A total non-issue if a paltry 400hp is all that is desired though. OP why bother with a rebuild? Just get a good junkyard engine, scrape the grease off of it, slide a cam in, and send it.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never had a issue with LS alum blocks and heat if the radiator is sized correctly.

LS3 bring big money down here. I'd look for a gen 3 or 4 5.3 or 6.0. The right cam and converter will do wonders.
But for a decent comparison, stock LS3 with a 227/237 cam and headers made 476rwhp thru a TR6060 Manual. So factor in roughly 20% parasitic loss thats 550+ crank HP

Brothajack93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been watching a lot of engine rebuilds in hopes of finding a an easy, efficient and more suitable drivetrain to rebuild and swap into my DD project. You would be surprised how many old boys ate their opinions in front of all their subscribers because you can’t argue with the science of physics as @Reverend Mike stated. If you heat up your block hot enough to warp 6061 aluminum then you did something seriously wrong and were neglecting your gauges and bagging your engine. LS3 is more than suitable. Sometimes it’s more about what’s practical and not what’s “the best” because the best is always subjective in this community. It’s one thing if that’s your build goal that your set on but when you ask the experts for opinion trust that you’ll get good info from these guys. I came in to my build with big dreams and a cocky attitude and they had to beat me down a few notches with a heavy hammer and humble my smart ass cause every one of them was right. Righteous a-hole about it or not. Now my work truck build will be a clean and custom build that I’ll never see a resale value in but I still am meeting and exceeding my goal of how much I can learn along the way. I won’t be an expert like some of these guys after one frame off restoration but at least I’ll have proven and established my hand skills and know more of what I’m talking about and make smarter decisions based on my mistakes…. Your mistake will be having someone else build your engines with the intent to abuse them. If that’s your idea of fun with trucks you might want to learn to do it yourself. If the legendary sbc350 can die from abuse then so can any engine

Stockedup94

Reaction score
Great takeaways guys, appreciate it. Ive decided to go crate engine, having some trouble finding LQ9 as they stopped production 3 years ago. Any help on an LS3 site that is more affordable than $10.k fully dressed??