93 GMC Sierra loses power the longer you drive it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

65nightmare

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure that this is a engine problem but here it is what happens. I am looking at buying this truck for a winter beater shop run around parts truck. It's a rclb 4.3 5spd 4x4. The seller says it runs good but if you drive it 5 blocks it runs out of power and almost snubs of until you push in the clutch or put it in neutral. I figured it was brakes hanging up but I drove it for 20 minutes today trying to get it to act up but no issues. The only thing I noticed was the parking brake is so worn out it gradually falls while driving and I kept pulling back up with my foot. Any ideas?

Sent from the land of the ice and snow.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Your gonna know it if youve got a brake dragging. Kinda sounds like it needs the tbi rebuilt or a throttle position sensor. Unless the motor is wore out.

65nightmare

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought about the motor being wore out but it only has 106k miles.

65nightmare

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And it turns hard like its in 4 wheel drive but it doesn't jump or jerk like it is.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Losing power can be all sorts of things, based on the age I would suspect a plugged catalytic convertor.

As far as the steering hard to turn, take the belt tension off, then check to see if the power steering pump shaft is broken. If it is, you can pull it out by hand, this will give you zero power assist.

It can sit in the bearing in the front and the belt will happily traverse around it, but it will do diddly squat if it is sheared, this is pretty common.

65nightmare

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Losing power can be all sorts of things, based on the age I would suspect a plugged catalytic convertor.

As far as the steering hard to turn, take the belt tension off, then check to see if the power steering pump shaft is broken. If it is, you can pull it out by hand, this will give you zero power assist.

It can sit in the bearing in the front and the belt will happily traverse around it, but it will do diddly squat if it is sheared, this is pretty common.
The cat is gone and it doesn't turn hard like that. If you turn the wheel and drive it takes a lot of power like it dogs the engine down like its in 4x4.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
if it gets worse fast, then I would put money on a fuel filter.