93 4L60e to 4L80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texcuda

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 60e is headed out the door. Rather than deal with a mediocre piece of ****, I'm going to swap in a 80e. I have most of the wiring figured out (swap white and brown wire at the trans connector, add ISS wiring, etc). My truck is now carb'd, but the stock computer is running the 60e with a remote TPS setup.

Will the 60e computer run the 80e (my hunch is no, but you never know)?

93 has the stand alone DRAC. If I have to get a computer from a donor, does the year model matter in regards to the DRAC and speedo operation?

The info I found for the ISS wiring is generic in regards to year models it is good for. The info I have says, "Pin A --> Pin 22 & Pin B --> Pin 23 on the Green/Red Connector". Does this apply to all year models? TBI, CPFI, and LS up?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Will the 60e computer run the 80e (my hunch is no, but you never know)?

Nope.

93 has the stand alone DRAC. If I have to get a computer from a donor, does the year model matter in regards to the DRAC and speedo operation?

I would imagine so.

The info I found for the ISS wiring is generic in regards to year models it is good for. The info I have says, "Pin A --> Pin 22 & Pin B --> Pin 23 on the Green/Red Connector". Does this apply to all year models? TBI, CPFI, and LS up?

Nope, thats the LS 0411 info. It's different for different PCMs. No idea what it is for the computers in the TBI trucks, sorry. I'd go ask at performancetrucks.net, they gave me the info for the 80E ISS wiring on my red '97. Short of that, get a factory service manual. They have pinouts for all the PCM connectors.

SierraDully

Reaction score
Yeah I've heard of guys reflashing the same computer to do the 60/80 swap. They were the newer obs odb2 computers. I've never seen it done on the older ones but thy doesn't mean it can't be done. I'm almost sure it can.
I've only had experience doing the swap with a kit. Did you get the replacement filler tube/dipstick? Do you know which VSS to use? transfer case adaptor? larger input shaft? Or did you get a replacement transfer case as well? Trans cooler lines also are longer on the 80.
Definitely worth the swap if you do a lot of hauling.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
yes the 60e computer will run an 80e after you change the tune

Yeah I've heard of guys reflashing the same computer to do the 60/80 swap. They were the newer obs odb2 computers. I've never seen it done on the older ones but thy doesn't mean it can't be done. I'm almost sure it can.

Yeah this is what I meant, sorry for the lack of clarity.

@Texcuda The computer you have now will run the 80E no problem, but not without a re-tune. I'm not sure who the best person to contact for that would be for a TBI PCM. Maybe try TBIChips.com?

Texcuda

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is now carb'd so I don't need the TBI portion, just the TCM programming. I may just buy the TCI EZ TCU and cut my losses there. This would also the speedo issues as I could completely bypass the drac.

The truck is 2WD so no tcase crap needed. Ii can shorten the driveshaft myself if it ultimately needed.

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
STOP USING TBI CHIPS HACK JOB!!!!!!!!!!

people gearheadefi.com cmon, Its stupid easy to adjust the computer for 4l80e compatibility talk to the guys on there. i did it in two 93s and a buddys old 89. retained the factory computer. OBD1 is more advnaced that most of you know. Fuel saver mode, fan control etc. No one takes the time to understand it.